Thread: Prop Question

Prop Question

Hoping someone can provide some knowledge. I recently won a 25pitch Tempest Plus at an event. I have a 175 Merc proxs on my Nitro Z7 with a 24pitch Tempest Plus. Thinking about swapping them out to try the 25 but don't know if the diameter is right for my motor. The box says the 25 has a diameter of 14 5/8". Problem is I don't know the diameter of my current 24 pitch prop. Don't want to go through the hassle of changing them if the diameter is wrong. Can someone tell me if this diameter is appropriate for my motor?

Thanks,
    Waldo

I posted this in the lounge as well, but wanted to put it here in case someone with a Z7 / Z18 has already tried a 25 pitch Tempest Plus. Thx

They should be the same diameter
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Banned
    What rpms are you getting with the 24?

Same. They don't make different diameter sizes in the Tempest.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    Thanks for the quick responses. I'm currently turning around 5800 - 5900 rpm on my 24p tempest plus. Boat is really set up well and runs great with my current prop, I'm really just curious how it would run with the 25. Guess I'll try it and find out. Thx

If it runs good right now (summer) with the 24, the 25 might be a great cool weather prop for you. Also prob fun and a bit faster when solo, and no reason it doesnt make a good backup, always better to have 2 props rather than 1
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

7. Member
    That's exactly what I was hoping for Risco. I've hit 69 solo with my current prop. Hoping to get 70 with the 25 once it cools down a bit.

8. Member
    I just ran both the 24 and 25 Tempest plus on my Z18/175 Pro XS last week. The 24 is a used prop (in great condition) I picked up on the props4sales forum here. I picked up the 25 here in the forum also, but it has been balanced and blueprinted by Croxton.
    For this comparison, I was previously running a 24pFury 4 blade. My boat is loaded HEAVY. 4 batteries, 36v Ultrex 45" 112#, 3 Helix 10 Mega's, 1 8ft blade, 8" Atlas JP, 3/4 tank of fuel, 25+ rods, and more tackle that I could use in a lifetime.

Air Temp was 86 degrees, and very humid. The water temp was 79-80.

I ran the 25p 1st, with large hole PVS plugs installed. It had a surprisingly good hole shot, and carried a heavy load well. Ran up to about 5650 rpm (analog tach may not be accurate) and GPS'd 63.6.

The 24P was next. I ran the same large hole PVS plugs. The hole shot was great, almost equal to my Fury 4. The boat ran up to 5900 rpm and 66.4 on the GPS.

Both Props drove soooo much better that I could have expected. The higher I trimmed it the better it drove at speed. I actually had to lower the jack plate and raise the trim. each time I did, the speed increased, and the water pressure was steady.
    I think I could have squeezed another .5-1.0 mph out of it with more seat time and better water. The chine walk wasn't bad at all. When it started to walk, all I had to do was feed it a little left wheel input and she settled down.

Overall I was VERY happy with the Tempest plus. Nitro should have put them on the boat new. The original 24p Fury 3 is junk compared to both of these props.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

9. Member
    Great writeup. Thanks!