Identifying a Merc

I would like to know everything I can about this motor . It is a 2003 225L Opti Max RPM 5750 499 Lbs . Is it a 3.0L ? Is it EFI ? I think it is a stock lower unit 1 :75 but how do I tell there is no markings on it . Vin # OT790992. Thanks ><>
    Last edited by Greg Z; 09-22-2017 at 08:22 AM.

2. Member
    Best to list a serial number of the motor which should be on the clamp bracket .
    If it a Optimax it is a DFI motor and not a EFI motor and most Optimax are 3.0 L , but they made some 225 , 2.5 L also .

3. Member
    Buy a Genuine Mercury Marine Service Manual according to the motors Serial Number.......Everything you need to know will be in that manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Buy a Genuine Mercury Marine Service Manual according to the motors Serial Number.......Everything you need to know will be in that manual.
    I have thought about that . Why do that when I have you guys and BBC
    I continue to appreciate all your help and after all this is social media. ><>

5. Member
    If you SERVICE your own motor, then you will still need the SERVICE MANUAL.....

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    If you SERVICE your own motor, then you will still need the SERVICE MANUAL.....
    Thanks Sav. I have got my hands on a manual and been reading. That's doesn't mean I am not going to still rely on your experience Thanks

Ran the vin it is a 3.0 L

8. Member
    It's a 225 opti max so it's a 3.0L. You can find those old mercury opti max manuals on ebay right reasonable $65.00

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Z View Post
    Thanks Sav. I have got my hands on a manual and been reading. That's doesn't mean I am not going to still rely on your experience Thanks
    can I get a amen anybody
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................