Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How Do You Tie Your Crankbaits?

I have recently switch to at least a fluorocarbon leader if not a full spool on all my rods, I have done this and had better luck on the clearer lakes in my area. I see a lot of guys using a "clip" style snap lock on the tour and on a lot of YouTube vids. Does the snap lock hurt your chances on strikes in your opinions? If not I would sure like to start using them to make bait swaps easier and faster. Thx

2. Member
    I don't really notice a difference in action on most crankbaits. However, there are some baits that I feel it hurts the action, especially balsa baits. Personally, I don't use a snap anymore. I've gotten fast enough at tying knots that I don't need a snap. Just test your bait with a snap before you throw it.

3. Member
    I always use a cross lock snap. It gives more action to a bait (unless you use a loop knot). It also lets the snap & eye take the horizontal movement stress instead of the line to eye connection.

4. Member
    LOOP IS BEST FOR ME
    -Matt

5. Member
    Cross lock snap for small cranks and flat sided baits.
    Direct tie for any wide wobble baits.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

Direct tie on everything...doesn't take me long to re-tie

7. Member
    Right on. Good info and it seems its a split decision. Just goes to show how different we all are in a good way. I will try both and see if the clasp produces less strikes in my area. What knot do you guys like? I used the improved clinch mostly. Some times a palomar if the hook or eye is bigger or with braid.

8. Member
    I do both but went to BIG snaps most days after watching another 'old' guy using them. I have noticed NO difference at all in the bite...

I've found that a snap gives ice fishing lures more action as compared to a split ring from watching them on a camera. I'm confident that this applies to cranks in the open water as well, though I rarely do it.

Instead, I'm with Mingo on this. I like a loop knot (Rapala knot) if I think of it and am not in a big hurry. Seems to be stronger overall and allow a wider wobble on those types of cranks that wobble. I just don't tie it enough to be very good at it so it takes me longer than it should. I end up not doing it due to laziness. If you're worried about the snap being visible and preventing bites, this is a great way to get around that though.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Quote Originally Posted by TNRoostertail View Post
    Right on. Good info and it seems its a split decision. Just goes to show how different we all are in a good way. I will try both and see if the clasp produces less strikes in my area. What knot do you guys like? I used the improved clinch mostly. Some times a palomar if the hook or eye is bigger or with braid.
    Improved clinch knot here as well

11. Member
    Palomar on flouro. No problems at all

12. Member
    I use a snap
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

13. Member
    Solid info guys, really opened me up to using a snap and trying it out.

14. Member
    I tried using snaps for a trip or two, just wasn't for me. I direct tie with an improved clinch in no time. I replace all factory split rings with the oval shape, I only tie a loop knot on light poppers, like a YM quarter.

15. Scraps
    For years I've been using the snap to the O-ring cuzz I'm lazy. I'd like to get to using a snap without the O-ring but that means removing all those O-rings. Lazy. Not enough time, just wanna go fishing. Just like changing hooks, but these things add up. I tie direct to the smaller baits.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Rods where I change a bunch like my trolling rods I use a snap. Rest I tie direct.

17. Member
    I ran a snap tonight and it was nice. We went down to the dam spillway and fished the breaks to find some white bass. Took me 6 changes before I found the right color shad rap. I tried tied and snapped and because the water was super clear in one break I could see the action. I am no expert but it looked almost identical, honestly the snap looked like it had a little more action. I looked at the rapala knot respectively and in the water it works just like a larger snap. I will use snaps with my medium to larger baits and tie on the smaller stuff I believe from here on out. I will continue to swap every once in a while though if I find schooling fish and see if there is a difference.

I've used the Norman "snap", and liked it ok, but I really don't fish cranks or topwaters much.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Norma...cpage-NSC.html

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wakeeater View Post
    Palomar on flouro. No problems at all
    I thought you weren't supposed to use palomars on fluoro?

Palomar knot to a Norman Speed Clip or Magnum Speed Clip depending on the size of the crankbait.
    The Magnum clip works equally well on Floating frogs with braid.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast