Eyra front deck space

Looking at moving from my Ranger 492vs to an Eyra and would like opinions on the front deck space. Can you comfortably fish two from the front deck or would a cougar or puma be better options?
    thanks in advance!

2. Member
    Sorry meant eyra

3. Member
    The Front deck of the Eyra has a different geometry, but square footage is close to that of the puma and cougar. All 3 will fish 2 about equally. The biggest difference with the Eyra is the width at the pedal and the forward position of the pedal. If you use a butt seat much at all, you will want to take the deck insert out, but if you primarily fish around docks, trees, etc. you will love the forward position.
    2015 Phoenix 819

4. Member
    Just traded my Cougar for a new Eyra (both dual consoles). Don't have a lot of time in the Eyra yet but I would say the front deck feels a little smaller. My buddy said the cut out for the step on the Eyra felt bigger and he stepped in it a couple times last week. Flippin is our primary tactic so we spend a lot of time up front. We are both smaller guys (5'8") so it's doable in either model (I don't have a lot of rods on the deck either). Once you get used to the forward seat position & trolling motor you should have room for both of you. If your bigger guys or have lots of rods you may want a single console model. This is all based on feel, the dimensions I think are not as good of indicator as actually fishing in them IMO.

5. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    In my opinion you would be happiest with a cougar if you spend a lot of time with two up front. I run a puma and spend a lot of time in an eyra also and all three are fine foe one person but the added cougar length probably better for two
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kittycat2012 View Post
    In my opinion you would be happiest with a cougar if you spend a lot of time with two up front. I run a puma and spend a lot of time in an eyra also and all three are fine foe one person but the added cougar length probably better for two
    Agreed.

Hello I got a question and will show my age some here. Reading this post about deck size and two up front is conflicting to me. Back in the 80's and 90's before I had to suddenly retire from fishing in 2002. I fished several team trails and even did the Red Man Okie division for a few years. We always fished two upfront and would have 10 to 12 rods laying on the deck and never felt cramped and we were al in 17 to 18 foot rigs a few 19's. I drew a guys at a Red Man Wildcard regional one time with one of the first Jag's and it felt like a aircraft carrier. LOL. Now that life has calmed down I'm starting to fish again and looking at boats and everything is huge and people acts like 2 people won't fit in under a 21 footer.

What has changed? or What am I missing?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJS34 View Post
    Hello I got a question and will show my age some here. Reading this post about deck size and two up front is conflicting to me. Back in the 80's and 90's before I had to suddenly retire from fishing in 2002. I fished several team trails and even did the Red Man Okie division for a few years. We always fished two upfront and would have 10 to 12 rods laying on the deck and never felt cramped and we were al in 17 to 18 foot rigs a few 19's. I drew a guys at a Red Man Wildcard regional one time with one of the first Jag's and it felt like a aircraft carrier. LOL. Now that life has calmed down I'm starting to fish again and looking at boats and everything is huge and people acts like 2 people won't fit in under a 21 footer.

What has changed? or What am I missing?
    I think its just the evolution of what people have become accustomed to seeing....back in the day a Sabre or Pantera II with a deck extension or Ranger 361 with the same was considered a big deck....
    2016 Triton 20TRX
    250 Pro XS, #112 MK Ultrex
    PP Blades, Atlas JP, Ionic Lithiums (4)
    Garmin 126/126/1222 & Solix 15

Yea that is kinda my thinking also I was a ranger driver then and drew some rides in a Sabre and a Pantera then later a PII and loved them. Tried real hard to work a deal on a forest green PII at Elk Creek Marina back in the day and just couldn't get it done and went with a 461 instead. This time around when I get ready for boat going to try for a Cat again maybe the third time is the charm and 20 years...LOL

The ideal sizes are the Puma FTD and Cougar FTD, though people want more beam now up front.

11. Member
    Absolutely love my Cougar wont ever own another brand and its my third time in a Cat.
    2016 Triton 20TRX
    250 Pro XS, #112 MK Ultrex
    PP Blades, Atlas JP, Ionic Lithiums (4)
    Garmin 126/126/1222 & Solix 15

12. Member
    The Cougar / Puma carries the beam further forward than the Eyra.
    Overall, the Eyra still has a wider beam than the Ranger 492. If your heart is set on the Eyra, it will easily fish 2 off the front deck compared to the 492Vs.
    If you want more deck space, than the Cougar or Puma is the way to go.
    Keep in mind the Cougar / Puma hulls handle much differently than the Eyra.
    The Cougar / Puma tend to have a larger boat feel vs the Eyra handles like a sports car. You sit lower in the hull.
    You cant go wrong with any of the three models. They will all fish two anglers on the front deck without any problems as compared to the 492 Ranger which will also fish two with no problem..
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

13. Member
    Thanks for all the feedback! I did just notice a typp in my original post. I am in a 482 not a 492. However, i assume the comments remain the same. Also assume any of the three BCB models will be significantly larger front deck compared to my 482?

That is accurate in that they should be larger than your 482 and the foot recess is nice up in the bow.