Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    There has to be some current as the water level is dropping this time of year. It's not detectable though. Ordinarily we do have a thermocline. In late summer and fall the bait and walleye will be below the thermocline. Seems the opposite of your water. At about 70 ft now. Can vary based on which section of the lake; upper, middle or lower end.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

2. Member
    For years have been working on methods to consistently take walleyes suspended on the lake am on. Find them suspended 25' to 30' down over 100' of water. Panoptix has moved me ahead and made me more successful. By using the PS-31 on the bow to point shoot and then find or pin point, then the ps-30 on the transom to insure my line up over them puts my baits on the fish with more precision and consistency then ever before. Using side scan I can see fish off to the side put in a way point and target these fish on the next passes.

Working on watching the lures behind the boat, sometimes lock on them others times hard to find, with the PS-31 pointed backwards on the ransom

As far as deep water mortality, I serve on the Minnesota DNR Walleye Work Group Committee. Recently reviewed data on hooking mortality, besides depth of water, which around 30' and deeper mortality increases dramatically. Warm water temperatures, for example 70 degrees and above also increases hooking mortality. Several contributing factors also add in such as, time in the live well etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12