Motorguide xi5 rudder

How easily should the rudder of an xi5 move. Received used trolling motor today. Poorly packaged rudder moves quite easily.

The rudder ? You mean the skeg ? It shouldnt move at all. It is held in place by the main magnet body,and the shaft epoxied to body,the long 8mm bolts run from rear and hold the armature in. Those bolts screw into the nosecone and draw everything together. Check bolts are tight.

3. Member
    Skeg yes. Both were loose bolts came out not damaged. Is there a spec to torque to? Or just lightly tight.

4. Member
    Should there be end play in the prop? When I spin prop one side of prop touches other doesn't. Prop will move easily in and out about a 1/4 inch

5. Member
    sounds like the lower unit took a lick in shipping. Prop shaft should be straight when turning and through bolts should be tight -- not lightly tight, but obviously not twist off tight. with loose bolts, water will get in.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member

7. Member
    Would you recommend tightening it down and running it or taking it in. Both skeg and propshaft were sticking out of box.

8. Member
    Sounds like prop shaft may be bent. I would take it to an ASC to be looked at
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Member
    As John said. The prop shaft is bent. The prop should turn without rubbing on the brush end housing.
    The spec on the bolts for a motor guide are 6 in/#. A little more then snug as John said is good. That is about one full turn from snug. Don't gorilla them.

10. Member
    Going to take it to approved motorguide service close by. I videoed the unboxing and lots of photos. Seller seems willing to work with so hopefully we can make it right. With that kind of damage. Will replacing propshaft and other damaged parts bring it as good or Better then new? Or will it be rebuilt and subject to fail quicker. Also there was very little protection around head of unit. No visible damage but how much abuse are they meant to take? I realize they go on the bow of boat which can be a rough spot to be.

Thanks for for all the help.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleyesok View Post
    Going to take it to approved motorguide service close by. I videoed the unboxing and lots of photos. Seller seems willing to work with so hopefully we can make it right. With that kind of damage. Will replacing propshaft and other damaged parts bring it as good or Better then new? Or will it be rebuilt and subject to fail quicker. Also there was very little protection around head of unit. No visible damage but how much abuse are they meant to take? I realize they go on the bow of boat which can be a rough spot to be.

Thanks for for all the help.
    If there is no visible damage, it should be good. As to subject for failure, about the same is if it was new.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

12. Member
    Ended ok. Took it to motorguide service center near me. They hooked it up ran it. Remote was not working and wouldn't link. Noticeable wobble in propeller shaft. Said armature was damaged and quoted to fix it and remote. Remote was replaced under warranty. Armature was not because damage was clearly caused by poor shipping practices. Seller was unruly and not willing to take any self responsibility. Ended up splitting cost of armature repair. He originally wanted me to pay to ship it back which would have cost as much or more then splitting the repair and he still would have had a damaged trolling motor and miles away from a certified service center. I shouldn't have had to pay to fix it but sometimes the fight isn't worth the time.

All other transaction on BBC have been awesome.

Make sure if if anyone buys a motorguide still under warranty to complete bill of sale and email it to motorguide. Transferring warranty to your name is simple, free and will make warranty work much easier.