DISABILITY RATING

I have a few questions on ratings. A few months ago i went to my first appointment in Nashville and was awarded 20% for my right shoulder, my left shoulder and both knees was awarded but at 0%. Can anyone shed more info on this. My right ankle which i thought had the most documentaion from service records was not awarded. i will appeal but did not understand the 0% rating. Some background, was in the USMC infantry from 84-90 and have had joint problems since but since at my early age could still function and i was never in combat i never did apply till after i was 50 years old. Now days i am having more pain as in every day so i applied.
    The next question is I go next week for my 1st local apt in Hopkinsville Ky and they did give me a list of things to bring, Any other thoughts on what I need to do at this appt.
    thank you
    david
    David Latham

2. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    The most important thing you need to know is that when your at any appointment with the VA is every word you say is recorded and put in you notes exactly as you say them. Choose your words wisely and deliberately. When they say "how are you doing" say something like "I'm terrible, hurt all over, that's why I'm here". Secondly, use a rep for your claim, don't do it alone, it's overwhelming. There is another step before you appeal too. Your county, (if county govt.) or city should have a VA rep. They work for you, not the VA. Other choices are the DAV,VFW,VVA and so forth. With all those injuries you should have a better rating than 20% IMO. This is a list of forms they use to determine injuries and illnesses. Look it over and know what they are going to ask you before you get there. https://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSA...ubexpandable=1 Good luck with it, stick with it you will win.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    The most important thing you need to know is that when your at any appointment with the VA is every word you say is recorded and put in you notes exactly as you say them. Choose your words wisely and deliberately. When they say "how are you doing" say something like "I'm terrible, hurt all over, that's why I'm here". Secondly, use a rep for your claim, don't do it alone, it's overwhelming. There is another step before you appeal too. Your county, (if county govt.) or city should have a VA rep. They work for you, not the VA. Other choices are the DAV,VFW,VVA and so forth. With all those injuries you should have a better rating than 20% IMO. This is a list of forms they use to determine injuries and illnesses. Look it over and know what they are going to ask you before you get there. https://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSA...ubexpandable=1 Good luck with it, stick with it you will win.
    Good advice!

4. Member
    Some really good advice right there. Can't emphasize enough to get some help from your county veteran's rep or a DAV rep. It's what they do and they live it everyday. Talk to them BEFORE your next appointment. Good Luck and remember: be persistent and keep every piece of paperwork you get from either the VA or one of their contractor's.

5. Member
    I have been going through DAV> thank you for all the replies. keep the ideas coming, I still consider myself lucky. I get up and go to work everyday and start the day in a good mood. its just that I'm taking way too many motrin now to get through the day.
    David Latham

6. Member
    I won't lie to the doc at the VA, I refuse to say thinks like "I'm terrible and I hurt all over" when I don't. I tell them where I hurt and how bad. I have been trying to get upgraded to 50% (on and off) for years. I'm at 40 so I pay my own disability out of my 20 year pension. IMO that's BS but it is what it is.

I was honest and took all my civilian meds on my initial VA appointment here. The doc literally chunked my pain and sleep meds in the garbage and told me I'd need to see behavior health if I wanted them. I told him he could keep his meds. He and I don't get along. I have "anger issues" in my VA records. I've been walked out of a VA because I told a doc he was inept at his job. I try to treat them with respect and expect the same in return. I have not found that in Nashville or Clarksville. These days I use the facilities on FT Campbell and I'm getting as good medical care as I've had in decades. Know that not all VA facilities are like this area! Our VA system has some of the lowest rankings in the nation.

Keep using your VA Rep!!

7. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    John, I'm not saying one should lie to the VA, but, if you answer their greeting with "I'm doing good, how about you" you might as well turn around and go home because you just did yourself in. I'm talking about when you deal with the claim doctors, not your regular appointments. I don't ever say I'm doing good. I usually respond to their "how you doing" greeting with "could be better" "my back is still killing me" "wish me diabetes would go away". You have to realize that what you say is going to be in your VA notes, don't want anything coming back to bite you in the butt. I go to the Hickory Clinic. When you see the Doc. he has a headset on with a mic and is constantly talking into the mike. Down the hall from his office is a room that has 5-6 keypunchers with headsets on and they are the ones entering what is being said into the file. Like I said, I'm not suggesting one to lie, but, knowing what is going on behind the scenes is a good way to take advantage of it.

An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

8. Banned
    yes watch what you say....................................

I went to the va just for a check in because I was told I should periodically.

I said "when I was getting out at 23 years old, I didnt know why they gave me 10 percent disability but now I do as my back is in a constant ache...."

Anyways they took away my disability and stated it was because I said "I didnt know why they gave it to me."

so yes be very careful.

In the end I happened to be working construction out of town and near the dav office I needed to deal with to appeal. That guy was great and in the end I ended up with a hearing which was simple and went well and they used common sense. I got a 20 percent rating then and all back pay from when it was taken away for a while. If I hadnt been working out of town I would have likely just let it go as it was a 2.5 hour drive to the dav office and it was a big hassle and stressful.

He has told me I need to visit a min of every 2 years, I havent gone in 10, I dont like being treated like a criminal by the idiots working at the va.

9. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Yes Sir Jeff, When I mention to this to fellow vets some of them think I'm crazy. If you go to the https://www.myhealth.va.gov/home and open a account and get verified, you can actually go into your doctors notes that he writes about you. It's a pretty good site, go to the "blue button" to access all your records and information. This is where you will see what you say is written down. But know that they can also edit what is there too. It's best to print out what is there just in case you need it at a later date. I hate to sound cynical but the VA really sucks and one has to do what's necessary to protect oneself. Really, the only one on our side is that rep, period. I'm lucky I have good insurance, I only use the VA for my drugs (and their formulary is so outdated it's a shame) hearing aids. diabetes supplies and eyeglasses. My Dr. there is so inept I really don't think he is really a doctor. But who do you complain to? I really hope Trumph cleans it up, but it's going to be a daunting task for sure. I better get off this rant, I think I hear a blackhawk over the house :)

An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

10. Banned
    Yes Sir Jeff, When I mention to this to fellow vets some of them think I'm crazy. If you go to the https://www.myhealth.va.gov/home and open a account and get verified, you can actually go into your doctors notes that he writes about you. It's a pretty good site, go to the "blue button" to access all your records and information. This is where you will see what you say is written down. But know that they can also edit what is there too. It's best to print out what is there just in case you need it at a later date. I hate to sound cynical but the VA really sucks and one has to do what's necessary to protect oneself. Really, the only one on our side is that rep, period. I'm lucky I have good insurance, I only use the VA for my drugs (and their formulary is so outdated it's a shame) hearing aids. diabetes supplies and eyeglasses. My Dr. there is so inept I really don't think he is really a doctor. But who do you complain to? I really hope Trumph cleans it up, but it's going to be a daunting task for sure. I better get off this rant, I think I hear a blackhawk over the house :)
    I dont use the va for anything. My wife has good insurance, I did go there one time and try and get sleep aid, as my back was bothering me so much I was having trouble falling asleep. They said something about that being psychological bla bla bla... I havent been back since. I dont have time to play their games for months

11. Banned
    I dont even know what I can actually go there for.

12. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Even if your wife has good insurance it's still a good idea to get enrolled in their health care if you qualify. Never know what's down the road. You can apply on line now I think. You can use them for drugs, eyeglasses, hearing aids, diabetic supplies and all kinds a stuff. I don't think I would use them for anything serious though, I've seen some pretty poor doctors there, some good too. I have Medicare and blue cross which my wife and I use for just about all are health care. But, because of my 60% disability I get my drugs through them without a copay, same for the other stuff, n o copay for visits either. Being over the % threshold they pay me travel money when I go for an appointment. Then. in their wisdom. they send my 100 miles for a xray to Asheville, because the clinic i n Hickory doesn't have a xray machine, duh. There is a clinic in Charlotte 10 miles away and a Hospital in Statesville, 25 miles away. I don't complain because if I need to go to Asheville my Wife and I make a day trip out of it, lots to see and do in that area, plus they pay me $85.00 to go, so it pays for the day out. I do have to say though, if you have an appointment in Asheville they don't play, you get in right on time.

An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

13. Member
    thank you again for the replies, have been to my local VA here in Hopkinsville KY, they have mailed me all my prescriptions and have taken some x-rays for follow up. I have received in the mail my id card and have registered online on myhealthva. it is a good sight as I can read all the notes the doctors in Nashville wrote, see my blood and urine results and private message and questions I have had, usually have an answer within 24 hours.
    they say if I understood that they can be my primary care. will will give them some time on a trail run. I hope this works out and would be great if I could get off my wifes insurance. that would save a lot
    David Latham

Te key to getting your disability is whatever issues you are having/had have to have a paper trail showing it happened during your service time or evidence that it is a service connected problem. The key to that is your medical records and understanding the Title 38, Chapter I, Part 4, Subpart B.
    https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=cb5c7a3abf09b35dd13bdce2d37df 326&mc=true&n=sp38.1.4.b&r=SUBPART&ty=HTML#se38.1. 4_1111

You take whatever problem you are having and see where it is in the CFR regulation. When you find it you will see a rating system for that problem.

Example: 7319 Irritable colon syndrome (spastic colitis, mucous colitis,etc.).
    -Severe; diarrhea, or alternating diarrhea and
    constipation, with more or less constant abdominal
    distress ................................................ 30%
    -Moderate; frequent episodes of bowel disturbance
    with abdominal distress ........................... 10%
    -Mild; disturbances of bowel function with occasional
    episodes of abdominal distress .............. 0%

When you go for your C&P exam you ALWAYS tell them your issues the way the CFR descries. You explain your worst day or you are just going to screw yourself but the key is get all your problems listed, look for them in the CRF regulation.

The process is not that difficult but the VA system can be frustration. If you are going to file an appeal they take forever unless you have a really good VSO that knows how the system works and can push it through. As mentioned before the key is having a paper trail showing its service related. The 0% means that your problem IS service connected but you do not receive compensation for that injury. If your appointments were done through the VA and not an outside agency, you can look at your medical file and see exactly what the Dr. wrote regarding your exam. REMEMBER.......Review the CRF that describes your injury and tell that to the Dr. during the exam. You don't lie but the Suck it up and press on mentality is not the place for a C&P Exam. As much as the VA gets a bad rap they are there for you and are good people.

Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO