Gray

GPS issue with 7608

I have 2 Garmin 7608's networked, one on console and one on bow. I've noticed recently that the bow unit GPS boat heading doesn't move when I'm on the trolling motor. It works perfectly in tune with the console unit when under power. When I stop the location is correct but it just doesn't move when I get on the trolling motor. Obviously, this makes it very difficult to navigate with the TM to a waypoint. Could the reason be that there's not enough speed for it to register movement? It did before. This must be something simple and I'm just missing it but it's frustrating. Thanks.
    2017 Tracker 195 TXW Tournament Edition
    Mercury 150 4 Stroke
    Fortrex 80
    Minn Kota 10' Talon x2
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live

For accurate heading info at the bow when still or moving slowly with the trolling motor, you need to add the SteadyCast heading sensor. It is a NMEA 2000 device, so you would also need to order the NMEA 2000 starter kit if you don't have this network installed.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/572462

Without a heading sensor (compass), your heading source is from the GPS (Course over Ground - COG). COG works fine when under outboard power and moving. But it doesn't work when still or moving slowly. The SteadyCast is only $150 and well worth the money for accurate heading at bow while fishing.
    Garmin Pro Team

3. Gray
    Thanks Tood. I guess if I already have the NMEA 2000 setup I don't need the kit.
    2017 Tracker 195 TXW Tournament Edition
    Mercury 150 4 Stroke
    Fortrex 80
    Minn Kota 10' Talon x2
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live

4. Member
    You will like steadycast. I have one. It's dead on.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.