R198p bass to crappie

Sounds like the 198 is one sweet bass boat, good in rough water and plenty of speed and storage.....and especially for bass fisherman. I was wondering how crappie fisherman would modify this boat. The pad hull is a great idea for all types of fishing, but it does create a deeper draft, the reason for better rough water performance. How deep a draft would you have if you moved batteries forward, put in a live well in rod storage box and used a 70 hp yamaha instead of larger motor. As a pan fisherman, I would sacrifice the speed so I could fish shallow water, any thoughts?

2. Member
    If you're not concerned with the speed I would think you would be better off with the RT188C version. Most of the appeal of the 198 is the increased performance of the pad hull and the higher horsepower rating.

The 188c comes with the front livewell, 3 seat pedestals, and lowered front deck.

3. Member
    I would be very interested in a crappie version of the 198P since I fish KY lake quite a bit and the 198 is supposed to be a much better riding and handling boat than the 188.
    "Now that's some high quality H2O"

4. Member
    I don't understand what you want? I see literally 100's of bass boats that fish mainly for crappie. Just make whatever boat your own. I fish 95% for crappie out of my RT188 115 Merc 4s. Add some rod holders, a Fortrex and a Engle bait cooler and your good to go.

5. Member
    I love my 2017 RT188C. I like the lower deck. Fast and easy to lay my long spider rig rods on it when moving around. Plus I use the front livewell 98% of the time. At least until it gets too full of crappie and then I start using the back one. When I bass fish, I don't need a livewell since I don't tournament fish any more. My 115 4 stroke is a sweet motor too. The boat also handles well. No big complaints.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    I use my RT198P to fish for crappie. I would rather do that than fish for bass.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I agree the RT188c is a great fishing crappie boat, it is likely my next go to boat. I would still like to find a boat that would handle a little rougher water than the 188. I realize there is no boat on the market that will easily go through 5 foot breakers and then go into an 8 inch deep stump field and move without trouble. I just wondered if the 198, properly modified, wouldn't come the closest to that daydream than any other boat on the market.

8. Member
    70hp will not get the boat on the pad so you would not get the benefit of the better ride.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aj306 View Post
    70hp will not get the boat on the pad so you would not get the benefit of the better ride.
    ^this

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

10. BBC SPONSOR
    you can also purchase the RT198P with a dual front seat option that allows you to have two people sit there and fish. This is a neat option, to be honest with I had that option but I am not going to drill holes now in my new boat. I fish all winter for crappie and thats the entire reason why I bought the boat, the RT198P has all the room I need to fish for my favorite flavored fishy's.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Thanks aj306 that's the exact type of answer I was looking for. Granted I don't care about speed but I do about performance. I was hoping the 198 with a 70 hp would ride rough water better and the ride would be adequate. I was willing to sacrifice a little deeper draft for a better ride in rough water. I keep looking for a boat like that but it doesn't look like there is any boat that will draft only 10 inches and still be fishable in a 20 mph wind.