New 2016 Yamaha 225 SHO purchase

Does price drop on an "older" motor? Looking for a new SHO to repower. What kind of price difference should I see from a new motor built in 2016 verses 2017?

Thank you for any information.
    Lanierspotman
    2023 Skeeter 21ZXR 2023 250 SHO
    Lake Lanier, GA

2. Banned
    Last time I checked they are all about the same in price 16-17k or so.

3. Member
    I think new is new and unless there is a model update the price wouldn't change.

4. Member
    Engines are titled by sale date rather than build date these days so it doesn't really matter the build date as long as it isn't an old design.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    Engines are titled by sale date rather than build date these days so it doesn't really matter the build date as long as it isn't an old design.
    This. Yamaha quit used model years in the engine designation. A new 2015 is the same as a new 2017, assuming no mechanical updates.

7. Banned
    The issue is that from most consumers point of view a three year old unused motor is not going to be worth the same that a three month old unused motor is worth.

Another way of looking at it is, if two motors are available at the exact same price, with one being three years younger than the other one, which one would the average motor purchaser want?

From my lowly point of view I want the fresher motor. Or, I might want the older motor but at a lesser price.

Yamaha and the other engine makers are being a bit disingenuous IMO when they say that age does not matter. Although they are no longer making changes to the model designation they are making product improvements that might be in a younger motor but not in an older motor. Does an older unused VF250LA with the two piece thrust washer have the same value as does a younger unused VF250LA model with the four piece thrust washer?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro1 View Post
    The issue is that from most consumers point of view a three year old unused motor is not going to be worth the same that a three month old unused motor is worth.

Another way of looking at it is, if two motors are available at the exact same price, with one being three years younger than the other one, which one would the average motor purchaser want?

From my lowly point of view I want the fresher motor. Or, I might want the older motor but at a lesser price.

Yamaha and the other engine makers are being a bit disingenuous IMO when they say that age does not matter. Although they are no longer making changes to the model designation they are making product improvements that might be in a younger motor but not in an older motor. Does an older unused VF250LA with the two piece thrust washer have the same value as does a younger unused VF250LA model with the four piece thrust washer?
    Absolutely agree but the titling issue is what it is.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    Absolutely agree but the titling issue is what it is.
    I know. But problem is that it creates ill will when a purchaser discovers after the fact that his brand new motor is three years old when he first gets to use it. But since all of the engine makers are now doing it neither of them can be singled out as a bad actor.

10. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    A new motor built in 16 sold in 17 will be a 2017 motor. its the date of sale not the build date. Titling will be a 2017.

11. Member
    I know. But problem is that it creates ill will when a purchaser discovers after the fact that his brand new motor is three years old when he first gets to use it. But since all of the engine makers are now doing it neither of them can be singled out as a bad actor.
    Question about the 3 year old motor. Is the crated motor completely empty of fluids? Are there any possible issues with them sitting without fluids?

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davepjr71 View Post
    Question about the 3 year old motor. Is the crated motor completely empty of fluids? Are there any possible issues with them sitting without fluids?
    The three year old motor will have the gear case filled but the oil system and fuel system will have been drained following the factory run check. The internals of the power plant may be at some risk of internal corrosion as over time the oil drains off of the metal surfaces. To what extent all of the old gasoline will have been purged from the system I have not a clue.

From my point of view, I want the most recently made motor. Even if it costs more. Not only will there have been nil time for corrosion to set in but it will have the latest and greatest parts installed.

13. Member
    The three year old motor will have the gear case filled but the oil system and fuel system will have been drained following the factory run check. The internals of the power plant may be at some risk of internal corrosion as over time the oil drains off of the metal surfaces. To what extent all of the old gasoline will have been purged from the system I have not a clue.

From my point of view, I want the most recently made motor. Even if it costs more. Not only will there have been nil time for corrosion to set in but it will have the latest and greatest parts installed.
    This is my perspective and regardless of what the engine manufacturers might think or do, market realities will prevail and if we the consumers just don't buy "old" new engines at full price the price will either drop or they will sit in a warehouse.

14. Member
    Can someone explain the difference between the SHO LA vs XA designation?

15. Banned
    LA means it has a Long shaft mid-section. Nominally 20". As would be used on a bass or bay boat. XA means it has an eXtra long shaft mid-section. Nominally 25". As might be used on a salt water deep V boat.

16. Member
    Thanks Jethro

17. Member

My position as well. I would be concerned about some corrosion. Also possibly gaskets and maybe items that are typically "wet" being dry.

18. Member
    LA means it has a Long shaft mid-section. Nominally 20". As would be used on a bass or bay boat. XA means it has an eXtra long shaft mid-section. Nominally 25". As might be used on a salt water deep V boat.
    The XA is essentially an Offshore with different paint and ECM. The midsection and lower is completely different between the 2 models. I'll try and dig up a side by side pic I have of the 2.