Fed up with Minn Kota

I have about had it with my fortrex. The darn foot pedal has given me issues since I bought it. It will keep running when I let off if it or sometimes it won't run at all.

I had a dealer look at it in Oklahoma a month or so ago after it messed up on one of my fishing trips and they say it just needed adjusting. Wasn't long after that it started doing it again and my wife left for work at 5am one morning and saw it running while the boat was in the garage.

I took it to a different dealer the other day and he said it just needed adjusting and he got it going again. I pulled it 6 miles to my house and a few minutes ago I was getting the boat ready to leave tomorrow for a fishing trip and guess what, no trolling motor power unless I switch it to continuous.

They all say the little magnet needs adjusting but when I looked at it just now it looks like it's where it should be. In the process of taking the switch off I broke the switch cover. Since its been adjusted by 2 different dealers what the next thing I need to look at?

2. Member
    Had a buddy with a similar issue. YouTube it. He basically cut a piece of cable tie and stuck it behind the magnet and it started working again.

I'll take a look. I broke the foot switch cover a few ago taking it off so I'm gonna have to pick up another one. Hopefully someone has them in stock close by. I've got a weekend trip planned starting tomorrow evening so I'll probably just try to fish with it on continuous. That's what I had to do the other day during a tournament. It's under warranty but at this point i would pay someone to fix it because it's making me not like having a $40,000 boat that is a pain to use.

4. Member
    Could be a bad reed switch on the board too. It can be changed without replacing the board. I would have replaced both. the reed and the foot pedal button

5. Member
    If it won't stay adjusted, I would suspect the reed switch as mentioned above. There is a kit for splicing the new switch into the control board wires. We keep the cover and kit instock
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    If it won't stay adjusted, I would suspect the reed switch as mentioned above. There is a kit for splicing the new switch into the control board wires. We keep the cover and kit instock
    John
    Thanks John. I may be scheduling a day trip down to see you. I'm about 3.5 hours away.

7. Member
    Sure, I'm closed on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Didn't want you to drive 3.5hrs to find me not here. It's about a 30minute fix
    thanks
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Sure, I'm closed on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Didn't want you to drive 3.5hrs to find me not here. It's about a 30minute fix
    thanks
    Thank you.

9. Member
    John
    I had the same problem on my Fortrex recently. I tried adjusting it a few times and it would stay on after I let off the button. It would also randomly come on while running down the lake.

I took it to my local ASC and had the reed switch replaced and haven't had any issues since.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    I had the same problem on my Fortrex recently. I tried adjusting it a few times and it would stay on after I let off the button. It would also randomly come on while running down the lake.

I took it to my local ASC and had the reed switch replaced and haven't had any issues since.
    I found a service center and I they fixed me up. Said my control board was bad.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    I found a service center and I they fixed me up. Said my control board was bad.
    I hope it was under warranty because I'm sure the controller wasn't cheap.
    If your control board was like mine when they replaced the board it also included the switch. You should be good to go now.

When mine was acting up if I put the magnet close to the switch it would close the switch but the motor would keep running when I moved the magnet away from the switch. If I tapped the switch with my finger the motor would stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    I hope it was under warranty because I'm sure the controller wasn't cheap.
    If your control board was like mine when they replaced the board it also included the switch. You should be good to go now.

When mine was acting up if I put the magnet close to the switch it would close the switch but the motor would keep running when I moved the magnet away from the switch. If I tapped the switch with my finger the motor would stop.
    Completely covered under warranty. I did have to drive a couple of hours from where I live but they had me fixed up in less than 2 hours. Local dealer wanted me to leave it for a week.

Never take your TM to the boat dealer for service, always use a dedicated certified Minn Kota service center for service or do it yourself.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Never take your TM to the boat dealer for service, always use a dedicated certified Minn Kota service center for service or do it yourself.
    Kinda hard to drive several hours one way but I get what you're saying.