Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    What techniques would you recommend the 7'3" MH for? I've been eyeing the Falcon Mike McClelland Swim Jig rod as my next purchase, it's a 5 power 7'2" MH fast, how would it compare to the Hammer I mentioned?
    I have been using the 7'3 MH for chatterbaits for the last year and it has been unbelievable, I honestly can't remember losing a fish on it all year.. That being said I think it would be a little bit too soft of a power for swim jigs. But, I guess it would depend on the person but I prefer a rod with a little more back bone for swim jigs.

I throw swim jigs 1/4 oz with a pretty good sized trailer on the 7'3" Heavy myself as I prefer a bit more power as I'm usually throwing them around heavy wood or grass cover. Additionally, Hammer Rods tend to fish a bit under what you may expect - the 7'3" Heavy for example fishes somewhere in between what most companies would call a Medium Heavy and a Heavy. I think of it as a strong Medium Heavy or a light Heavy powered rod, and it has a deeper flex into the blank than a lot of other rods.

There's no doubt that the 7'3" Medium Heavy will get the job done with most swim jig fishing, unless you're getting up there using 1/2 oz heads with large trailers around really heavy cover, again, just personal preference for me using the Heavy and knowing how Hammer Rods fish. I can't offer a comparison to the Falcon you referenced, I've never held one. I do know that these Hammer Rods are impressive and are a great value at their MSRP, and at these prices, they are an unbelievably great deal.

"Like" us at www.facebook.com/tackletrap "BBC10" discount code at checkout on our website for 10% off most items in stock - special orders available anytime

I would prefer a 7' MH full grip at those prices but tell me about the extra length on the handle. How does the reel seats location compare between the two?

Quote Originally Posted by rockchalk06 View Post
    I would prefer a 7' MH full grip at those prices but tell me about the extra length on the handle. How does the reel seats location compare between the two?
    The reel seat is moved up for the longer handle, so from reel seat to tip is shorter on the full grip version. If you want the same length from seat to tip, you have to order the next longer rod. For example a Regular 7' Hammer and a 7'3" Limitied TT full grip edition will be close to the same length from reel seat to tip, the extra length is in the handle behind the seat. Hope that made sense.
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB
    92 Stratos 285 Pro XL / Evinrude Intruder 175
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Hard swim baits can range from 1/4 to to 10 oz+, so without knowing specifically his intended weight range, I couldn't recommend which one would be the best. If you have an upper and lower weight range, I'll be glad to help with a recommendation.
    just ordered my rod, thanks as always for the great deals and service. my buddy would prob only throw up to 3oz i'm guessing

Quote Originally Posted by jonmay View Post
    just ordered my rod, thanks as always for the great deals and service. my buddy would prob only throw up to 3oz i'm guessing
    Thanks Jon - Brian loves tossing Hog Farmer umbrella rigs with big Basstrix and it weighs 3 oz. plus all rigged up. He uses the 7'11" Extra Heavy TT Limited Model and it does an excellent job despite being rated to only 1.5 oz. I've thrown the 5" Bull Shad a lot on the 7'3" Heavy version and it also does a great job. Your buddy will be just fine at up to 3 oz on the Extra Heavy model...

"Like" us at www.facebook.com/tackletrap "BBC10" discount code at checkout on our website for 10% off most items in stock - special orders available anytime

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    I throw swim jigs 1/4 oz with a pretty good sized trailer on the 7'3" Heavy myself as I prefer a bit more power as I'm usually throwing them around heavy wood or grass cover. Additionally, Hammer Rods tend to fish a bit under what you may expect - the 7'3" Heavy for example fishes somewhere in between what most companies would call a Medium Heavy and a Heavy. I think of it as a strong Medium Heavy or a light Heavy powered rod, and it has a deeper flex into the blank than a lot of other rods.

There's no doubt that the 7'3" Medium Heavy will get the job done with most swim jig fishing, unless you're getting up there using 1/2 oz heads with large trailers around really heavy cover, again, just personal preference for me using the Heavy and knowing how Hammer Rods fish. I can't offer a comparison to the Falcon you referenced, I've never held one. I do know that these Hammer Rods are impressive and are a great value at their MSRP, and at these prices, they are an unbelievably great deal.
    The Falcon advertises the rod as a great "all around" rod, I don't necessarily want it a swim jig rod just an all around rod for Table Rock and Bull Shoals to throw some smaller swimbaits and finesse jigs.

The Falcon advertises the rod as a great "all around" rod, I don't necessarily want it a swim jig rod just an all around rod for Table Rock and Bull Shoals to throw some smaller swimbaits and finesse jigs.
    Understood. Again, don't know what the Falcon is all about or where it falls power wise. What I do know is what the 7'3" Medium Heavy and the 7'3" Heavy Hammer Rods are capable of doing and doing well. As far as all purpose rods, both fit the bill. I've thrown a 6XD on the 7'3" Heavy and I've also thrown a ribbit type toad around scattered grass with it. I wouldn't do that with the 7'3" Medium Heavy version. On the 7'3" Medium Heavy, I've thrown a 1.5 sized square bill bouncing off rocks in open water, and I've thrown a 1/4 oz. tungsten with a 3/0 hook and a 6" lizard, both of which I have done with the 7'3" Heavy too, but I'm biased toward more power and using my line and quality reel and it's drag as intended. The BEST solution is to just get one of each and be done with it, you'll be glad you did

9. Member
    What rod would you suggest for Carolina Rig , 15# main line, 3/8 to 3/4 oz. weights? and a great reel to go with it?

Quote Originally Posted by gambler1 View Post
    What rod do you recommend for Carolina rig, 15# line, 3/8-3/4 oz. weight and maybe a good matching reel to go with ?
    I'd opt for the 7'6" Extra Heavy myself, but I know some guys like the 7'3" Heavy for those applications. At 3/4 oz, I feel like the 7'3" Heavy starts to get to it's limit for effectiveness for bottom contact applications - foot ball jig or otherwise. 3/8 oz to 1/2 oz, it's in the zone without a doubt, and again, can handle that 3/4 oz weight, but I like how the 7'6" XH feels better. Both have a VERY comfortable, nice long handle for two handed casting.

There are some great deals on remaining Tatula CT and CT Type R in "LEFT" hand on the website in the Sale and Clearance section, and a couple of Lew's Super Duty for the right handed guys. I like Daiwa and Shimano reels in general myself, and the Tatula CT models are really a fine match for the Hammer Rods in your preferred ratio.

11. Member
    Hi Gary,

Which of these Hammers would you recommend for throwing Senkos (weightless and TX Rig)?

Quote Originally Posted by druben13 View Post
    Hi Gary,

Which of these Hammers would you recommend for throwing Senkos (weightless and TX Rig)?
    If we're talking a 5" Senko, I'd prefer the 7'3" Heavy as I like the additional backbone, especially if T-rigging a Senko. If you're wacky rigging most of the time, and not fishing around a lot of cover, the 7'3" MH is plenty of rod.

I would use 7'-7'3" in either MH or H. You wouldnt think a rod labeled H would toss a weightless bait well, but it does, however the MH will load easier and prob toss it better (I dont have a 7 or 7-3 MH)

For me it would come down to what hook I was using, light wire (or light bait) Id use MH and with a heavy wire hook use the Heavy (to drive home the hook on set and what I currently use sometimes) but either would effectively work.

Looking forward to Gary's response as he would know better than me ans we can see if Im on the right track or not

Edit: typed this up but got busy at work so Gary's response beat mine
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB

14. Member
    How are the Winn grips with wet hands? I've only used cork but handled a few rods with what I guess was Winn grip or something similar and they seem very grippy.

15. Member
    Also are these micro guide rods like the All American Elite? I know it's a preference thing but Gary do you prefer the split or full grip of these rods? I notice the All Americans are listed at the same price on your website so with the 10% BBC code both would come out to the same price, just trying to decide on split or full grip. I am assuming the grip material is the same for both correct?

How are the Winn grips with wet hands? I've only used cork but handled a few rods with what I guess was Winn grip or something similar and they seem very grippy.
    Ive fished with mine in the rain a few times and had no issues. I think they are better than cork when wet. So much in fact that I have wrapped most of my cork rods with the WINN wraps.

I also filled in some Hammer split handles with cork gasket material, then WINN wraps to make them level with the rest of the grip to make a full WINN handle. I posted pics a while back but Im sure they were Photobucket so they're gone.
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB

17. Member
    Ok so I'm trying to make up my mind here as I am going to order one of these rods more than likely today. Still trying to figure out split or full grip. I'm leaning toward the 7'3" Heavy in the full grip, if I decide to get the split grip do I need to go with the 7' Heavy or stick with the 7'3" on either one? Also this will probably be my wife's rod and she throws 3/8-1/2oz jigs, weightless Senkos as well as weighted T-rig Senkos, T-rig worms and grubs on 3/16-1/4oz weights, soft plastic jerk baits, and 3-4" soft swimbaits on 1/4oz heads. She has several other rods for some of these applications that may not be the best for the 7'3" Heavy, for example the soft plastic jerkbaits, will the 7'3" fit the bill as an all around rod for her primary techniques (mostly the jigs and T-rigs) or do I need to look at another model?

The "BBC10" applies to the sale on the Tackle Trap Limited Full Grip models, and it also applies to the standard split grip models. The Winn Grips are the same material with different patters, one again is split grip, one is full. In terms of their grip when wet, John nailed it, they offer superior grip in my hands.

If she's throwing 3/8 to 1/2 oz jigs, no doubt that the 7'3" Heavy is the right choice. Think of it as a strong medium heavy or a light heavy powered rod. It's in the zone with those sized jigs, handles a 5" Senko nicely, texas rigs, and even the 1/4 oz jig head swim bait will be fine on there. It will work out great for her. Handle length will be a personal preference thing, but if she does a lot of two handed casting, I'd suggest the full grip. If she likes to cast one handed, the split may suit her better.

Ok so I'm trying to make up my mind here as I am going to order one of these rods more than likely today. Still trying to figure out split or full grip. I'm leaning toward the 7'3" Heavy in the full grip, if I decide to get the split grip do I need to go with the 7' Heavy or stick with the 7'3" on either one? Also this will probably be my wife's rod and she throws 3/8-1/2oz jigs, weightless Senkos as well as weighted T-rig Senkos, T-rig worms and grubs on 3/16-1/4oz weights, soft plastic jerk baits, and 3-4" soft swimbaits on 1/4oz heads. She has several other rods for some of these applications that may not be the best for the 7'3" Heavy, for example the soft plastic jerkbaits, will the 7'3" fit the bill as an all around rod for her primary techniques (mostly the jigs and T-rigs) or do I need to look at another model?
    I think Heavy is the right call for that stuff. Couple things to think about, yes the full grip has a shorter working length (reel seat to tip) so order the longer one to equal the shorter split grip.

Also, how tall is your wife? Reason I ask is because the full grip being longer can be cumbersome for a person with shorter arms. Just something else to consider. Gary posted pics with a tape measure to show handle lengths, might want her to try a few of your rods with similar lengths to see which would be better.
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    I think Heavy is the right call for that stuff. Couple things to think about, yes the full grip has a shorter working length (reel seat to tip) so order the longer one to equal the shorter split grip.

Also, how tall is your wife? Reason I ask is because the full grip being longer can be cumbersome for a person with shorter arms. Just something else to consider. Gary posted pics with a tape measure to show handle lengths, might want her to try a few of your rods with similar lengths to see which would be better.
    She's about 5' 105bs soaking wet, she has split and full grip Falcons but the handle lengths are the same. She's a one hand caster (left hand palming the reel and right hand on the grip right behind the reel) so I'm thinking split grip now. Of her Falcons she prefers the full grip but really doesn't care either way, with the Hammer's full grip being longer she probably wouldn't like that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast