Quickdraw Contour Maps

I've been using this quite a bit lately and have found a lot of underwater structure that doesn't show on my HB mapcard I've had a few years, or even on the new HD Ultra Garmin map I bought. I'm frankly pretty amazed at this feature and the excellent detail I'm getting. I was wondering how much memory it takes up on an SD card and went poking around the Garmin site to see what I could find and found this:

SD/microSD card capacity requirements when using Quickdraw

To determine memory card size needed to record Quickdraw mapping, consider that 100MB of memory can record an area of approximately 4,500 acres.
    Using this ratio, a lake such as Lake Michigan, which is approximately 14 million acres, will only require about 3100MB (3.1GB) of memory. In this case a minimum 4gb micro/SD card would be required.

I find the above fact amazing. Now I need to find out how much space is on my Ultra HD Map card and see if I can use it instead of the 16GB microSD card I'm using now. I obviously don't need it since I'll probably never even use 500MB in my lifetime since I'm 64 years old. I can use the 16GB in my camera or cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall53 View Post
    I've been using this quite a bit lately and have found a lot of underwater structure that doesn't show on my HB mapcard I've had a few years, or even on the new HD Ultra Garmin map I bought. I'm frankly pretty amazed at this feature and the excellent detail I'm getting. I was wondering how much memory it takes up on an SD card and went poking around the Garmin site to see what I could find and found this:

[FONT="]SD/microSD card capacity requirements when using Quickdraw

[/FONT]
    To determine memory card size needed to record Quickdraw mapping, consider that 100MB of memory can record an area of approximately 4,500 acres.
    Using this ratio, a lake such as Lake Michigan, which is approximately 14 million acres, will only require about 3100MB (3.1GB) of memory. In this case a minimum 4gb micro/SD card would be required.

I find the above fact amazing. Now I need to find out how much space is on my Ultra HD Map card and see if I can use it instead of the 16GB microSD card I'm using now. I obviously don't need it since I'll probably never even use 500MB in my lifetime since I'm 64 years old. I can use the 16GB in my camera or cell phone.

No issues at all recording QD directly to your Ultra card. Plenty of memory available.
    Garmin Pro Team

Thank you sir for that info.