Thread: Hull Blisters

Hull Blisters

Anybody else here run into hull blisters on their Champ? my 99 203 has quite a few small ones, that I just now found... Recommendations?

2. Banned
    Can't say I've ever read about blisters on a champ, tritons yes. They happen to all brands though and it's gonna be an expensive repair.

Yes I had them on mine, more boats have them than people realize, because they're under the bunks. I think a contributing factor is the three layers of carpet on the boards of Easy Loader trailers. The three layers offer more cushion but they hold water longer and that causes the fiberglass to stay wet all the time. If you use your boat every week it may sty damp all season.

I repaired mine using the West System Epoxy. You will have to grind away the blisters before beginning the repair. Also the boat needs to be off the trailer.

4. Member
    I passed on a 202 because it had hull blisters. He had no idea what they were but it sold a week or two after I looked at it.

5. Member
    I took my boat to Toledo fiberglass yesterday because of hull blisters, getting a gorllia hull. I would look into getting a gorilla hull lifetime warranty. I have a 97 191 champion

6. Member
    BassinB, gotem on my '85. Been there a Long time. Plan on taking it to Toledo Fiberglass for a gorilla hull some day and get them to fix. Just got to get where life is not gettin the way.

Technically, do they hurt anything?
    1998 ChampioN 203
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI

8. Banned
    They do when they pop and let the fiberglass get wet.

9. Pat Goff
    They absolutely need to be tended to.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

10. Member
    I had a few small ones on mine. built in 2000,and only a few. Seems they used better materials years ago,but all gel coats can get them as it is not as solid of a material as you are led to believe.That is why boats that are built to stay in the water most of their life have a special paint at and below the water line.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeko55 View Post
    I took my boat to Toledo fiberglass yesterday because of hull blisters, getting a gorllia hull. I would look into getting a gorilla hull lifetime warranty. I have a 97 191 champion
    You will not be disappointed.

12. Member
    Do the new rubber/plastic bunks prevent this?
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

13. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumb View Post
    Do the new rubber/plastic bunks prevent this?
    If you are referring to Gatorbak Bunk Covers, then yes, they are supposed to drain water out as you pull trailer.
    I have them on my Phoenix boat trailer, and really like them. The boat loads same as on carpet. No more wet bunks!
    http://gatorbak.com/