Optimax Pro XS 150 continuous tone and white smoke

Took my boat out for the first time in almost a year. Started first time and ran smooth. After a 10 minute run at 80% throttle I spent about 5 minutes idling into a backwater when I suddenly heard a long continuous tone. I dropped completely off the throttle and the tone stopped. I noticed that the motor was smoking (white) quite noticeably.

The beep occurred a total of three times over the weekend, all at no-wake speeds. At startup the motor doesn't smoke badly, only after a run.

The prop has a darker buildup than I seem to remember.

The water outlet is shower warm after a run.

I managed some WOT runs with no problems. Smooth and responsive.

Any ideas?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

May be as simple as being due for a water pump... but the only way to know for certain is to follow the advice in the below link:

WARNING HORN "BEEPED"

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Turns out it was the water pump impeller that had lost its hysteresis i.e. the fins weren't straightening. The result was a loss of water pressure at idle. The white smoke was steam. Engine is fine!