2014 Nitro trailer hub issue

I have grease/oil leaking from one of the center caps on my boat trailer axles. I assume it's a seal, but I cannot figure out how to get the cap off of the the hub to look. The cap itself has two flat sides to it giving the appearance that the cap screws off. Can anybody help me with this? Thanks a bunch.

2. Member
    Yes, assuming you have the Vortex hubs. Thats what mine has and I just went theough this.. I replaced the seal for my own piece of mind but I believe it was just the gasket on the cap leaking. I did however replace that too. The caps are around $10 a piece. If you look under the trailer at the back of the wheel and don't see any sign of fluid leaking from the seal then it's most likely the cap.

3. Member
    Thank you Atrain. So the cap does screw off? I'm pretty sure I have the Vortex hubs. I don't want to start prying on the cap if there's threads in there.....

4. Member
    It should screw off....
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

5. Member
    Yup screws off. I used a bigger pair of channel locks to loosen it.

6. Member
    I had a Vortex hub start to fail recently after about 3 season - started spitting a little bit of grease - pulled the wheel off and found about 5 feet fishing line/mono around the center part of the hub. Burned the inner seal - I actually replaced the entire hub with a new Vortex and plan to use the old one with a new seal as a spare. The seals are not very expensive.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

7. Member
    You also may have a broken cap
    I had a cap crack on my Z9 hub.