Dobyns Fury Rods

I'm leaning towards the Fury line. Looking for a quality casting rod less than $130.

I picked up a 703c and it seemed too light for 'all around' Texas rig worms, Carolina Rigged, etc.
    The 704c wasn't in stock. Would a 704c be too light for Horny Toads, medium hollow body frogs?
    At this time, i'm not looking for a rod over 7'.

One review mentioned it's heavier in weight compared to some other rods at that price point.
    Does around 1oz. extra weight make that much difference?

Any comments are appreciated...

Thanks...

2. Member
    I've got the 703 and 704 both in the fury and savy lineup. The 704 is a great all around junk rod and I mainly use it for 3/8-3/4 oz jigs (3/4 is as heavy as I like) and I think it makes a good frog rod when in open water and no grass. Of all the rods I've got, if I had to pick one to fish with all day it would be the 704

3. Banned
    Check out the 734, it's one bad mother.... Oooh shut up mouth!

4. Member
    I throw the horny toad all day long on a 734 with braid in thick vegetation...I would think the 704 would handle it no problem, I just like the extra leverage.

5. Member
    The 4 power is probably the most versatile in their lineup. Itd throw a frog just fine as long as youre not fishing extremely thick cover

Not sure about the weight of the rod but I always found the balance of a rod to be a lot more important. A balanced rod that is havier feels a lot lighter than a light rod thats way unbalanced. If that makes sense....
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

6. Member
    Personally if you're going to be throwing toads and hollow belly's, i'd go with a 5 power for sure.

7. Member
    I have a 735 in the Fury line and I love it for frogs / horny toads. I have a 703 in the savvy line, I use it for light texas rigs but I don't like going above 3/8oz, it starts to feel a little over powered.

I think the 704 would be a great all around rod, but if you're looking for frog/toad specific I would go with a 705 to stay under the 7ft mark.

8. Member
    Throw a 4in weightless creature bait a long ways with the 734 and 50lb braid. Will t-rig it with an 1/8 or 3/16 weight.
    One of my favorite rods

9. Member
    Fury's are good rods but I think there are better rods out there for the same money. I personally thought the rod felt great. probably one of the better feeling rods I have ever owned but it lacks in sensitivity. if you are using braid, that's not a problem. I think the lews tp1 is a better rod at a lower price point.

Bunch of rods out there in your price range that feel far and above Dobyns fury.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    Bunch of rods out there in your price range that feel far and above Dobyns fury.
    Please post those rods.

Thanks...

Haven't bought the new rod yet.
    I'd like cork, full or split.

12. Member
    Own all Loomis rods. Wanted a moderately priced frog rod so I settled on a Fury. The Fury is well built and more importantly well balanced. With a 200e Curado and Power Pro it's fire. Call Dobyns and talk with them, they'll head you in the right direction. Ps they have a factory up grade program as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe20Toon View Post
    Please post those rods.

Thanks...

Haven't bought the new rod yet.
    I'd like cork, full or split.
    I'd you want cork that will narrow it down a bit but look at a Powell Inferno if you have a Powell dealer around.

14. Member
    St Croix Mojo is a good cork handle in the same price range

15. Member
    I called around for Powell rods and none in the central FL area, at least from what I can tell.
    Found a shop the has Dobyns but, can't keep them in stock for long.

On the St. Croix Mojo, the cork was too short and the rod blank 'dug into' my hand.
    The next size up on the Mojo was fine, not the shorter Mojo. Forgot which size I looked into back them.

Also, ordered and returned a BassX rod. I don't want "micro guides." St. Croix never mentioned or had pics of the BassX showing the micro guides.