Cave Run Lake bass and how do you fish timber?

Headed to Cave Run to camp this weekend. Usually I got musky fishing this week every year. This year I am not feeling it and do not care to musky fish. I want to catch more bass. I have never done much bass fishing here. I know many hate it. This time of year, do I need to head up towards poppin rock and stay in the river or can I catch them deep in the main lake?

Secondly, other than this lake, I don't ever fish one with standing timber. How do you guys attack it in 15ft of water or so?

My biggest goal is to catch a spot. I have never caught one in my life and I know they are there. Any suggestions?
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

find channel, follow channel till you find bait close to or in channel, bass will be close by timber or no timber.
    Ranger Forever

Fished cave run at times each year. You can fish the flats or close to the channel around the flats. Great advise on first reply also. Fish structure contours like any other area the timber is most time not relavent in itself and a distraction unless it is horizontal or on bottom related structures.

4. Member
    Just head on up I64 a little more and make a turn and go to Yatesville.

5. Member
    Standing timber I would use crankbait , vibrating jig or spinnerbait and clip the tree and let it fall right after. If you find fish on the tree flip a jig in there.

6. Member
    I have been camping at Cave Run for 30+ years but we don't normally come for fishing unless it is musky. We like the area and the lake. I know people will say go to a different lake but we won't do that. It's a family thing.

Thanks for the tips about the timber. Hitting the lake today. Anyone have any recommendations on trying to locate spotted bass or smallmouth?
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

7. Member
    Throw a jerkbait around the timber and on points. Pitch a jig or plastic up against the trees and let it fall on slack line all the way to the bottom. If you don't get a bite on the fall, reel it in and repeat on the next tree.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

8. Member
    Dont worry about the timber. Fish the grass points. They arent hard to find. And do not go to Yatesville. Cave run is better fishing with half the boat traffic.