Thread: SHO rebuild

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hagen

SHO rebuild

What are your options for a blown 250sho out of warranty? From what I can gather the sho can't be rebuilt, is this still true? I am just curious what everyone is doing when one pops? Last I heard the cost was around 13k? I actually like the sho but if powerhead replacement is that expensive I believe I'll stay with my optimax. Because one day it will go out of warranty. Thanks guys
    Want to buy old river2sea bully wa frogs.

Scary isn't it? That's the only reason I sold my SHO that was out of warranty...

Its not that they cant be rebuilt. They can be. The extent of the damage will determine if a rebuild or replaced powerhead is a better (less expensive) option.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

4. Hagen
    I guessing if you have to buy a powerhead from Yamaha it ain't going to be cheap. This is my main concern with them, if I was to buy one I don't want to have to keep trading it in to keep in warranty. I mean you can rebuild an optimax for around 4k, so has anyone bought a powerhead out of pocket, and what was the total cost of it all.

5. Banned
    10k to replace plus labor to install. You can not rebuild an opti for 4k especially if it has a hole in a block and to service or replace fuel system components and compressor which seems to be a very popular and hot selling item these days.

6. Hagen
    So 10k that's a new powerhead from Yamaha I'm assuming?

7. Banned
    A new long block retails at $10,850.00. Includes both cylinder heads.

If just the block is needed it is $3508.00.

Short blocks (block with crank shaft and pistons) are no longer available.

8. Scraps
    eek!
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

9. Hagen
    So what kinda of (if any) warranty would come with the long block? Like I said I would like to have one, but no matter the brand on the side they all will blow sooner or later. I'm assuming that most sho's that fail are going to have to have a long block correct?

Quote Originally Posted by jethro1 View Post
    A new long block retails at $10,850.00. Includes both cylinder heads.

If just the block is needed it is $3508.00.

Short blocks (block with crank shaft and pistons) are no longer available.
    In individual parts (if the block is ok) you are looking at approx $2000 for:

Crank 1200
    one con rod 105
    crank and big end con rod bearings 240
    con rod bolts 50
    head gaskets 250
    Other 150 (Ive never done one so not sure on the incidentals like seals/o-rings/gaskets)

Plus labor obviously, but it shouldnt cost 10K

Most 4 stroke bottom end failures can be fixed with these parts. Again, every case is different depending upon what broke, but I used to do a lot of single con rod replacements in Yamaha 4 stroke motorcycle motors. I am not saying they are the same, those revved to 16K rpm and were beat to sh!t by racers all day long haha, but the components to rebuild a common failure (con rod bearing) are similar.

This is assuming a lower end failure. A top end (valve) failure can be easier or worse to fix, again depending on severity.

Why you hear people say they cant be rebuilt is because of the cylinder lining. That also can be fixed but it's very pricey, so if that is needed it MIGHT be more cost effective to buy a block... not sure, havent researched it enough.

11. Hagen
    Thanks, I'm just trying to find out how much it would cost and what others are doing when one pops. I will have to say out of all the talk about them blowing up, I can't find any used blown sho's for sale. Heck their isn't that many used ones out their from what I've seen. I know most are still in warranty and they haven't been out as long as an optimax but still, they must be doing alright for their not to be many for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by minnowlimo View Post
    Thanks, I'm just trying to find out how much it would cost and what others are doing when one pops. I will have to say out of all the talk about them blowing up, I can't find any used blown sho's for sale. Heck their isn't that many used ones out their from what I've seen. I know most are still in warranty and they haven't been out as long as an optimax but still, they must be doing alright for their not to be many for sale.
    And this is part of the reason why you havent been able to find many that have been rebuilt. Give it a few more years and you will prob start to see a few prices on rebuilds.

However, since the updated block/thrust stuff they have proven to be very reliable!

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by minnowlimo View Post
    There are so many different types of failures I don't see how anyone can accurately come up with a repair cost. The meaning of a "blown powerhead" can mean so many different things.

It appears that blocks with flame sprayed liners are being repaired in the automotive world. I have not heard of the process being using by anyone to repair a Yamaha outboard motor with flame sprayed cylinder walls.

The first SHO came out in 2009. Hard to believe it was that long ago. Seems like just yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by jethro1 View Post
    There are so many different types of failures I don't see how anyone can accurately come up with a repair cost. The meaning of a "blown powerhead" can mean so many different things.

The first SHO came out in 2009. Hard to believe it was that long ago. Seems like just yesterday.
    I agree. The example I gave above is just one possibility.

15. Hagen
    This is the kind on info I'm looking for, so I was pretty close with my original statement, if one needs a complete rebuild we are talking in the neighborhood of 13k. I honestly hoped to hear that someone had figured out the rebuilding of the flame sprayed blocks and the total cost had came down.

16. Banned
    So far a rebuild consists of removing defective parts and replacing them with new parts. Somewhat different than say a rebuild (old cylinder liners being removed and new ones sprayed on) being performed on a defective block.

17. Member
    Mines out of warranty in five years. Can y'all figure it out by then? Thanks!

18. Member
    Only time will tell how things will go. The motor has not really been out long enough to see what is happening to them 10yrs old or 500+ hours. In 2-3 more years it will be interesting to see how the post 2012 motors do, but the SHO has been pretty reliable in the past few years. You may see more re-manufactured short blocks being offered if it is an option for repair. However, what do you do? Re-power every six years? That will cost about the same as a new long block. This hobby is anything but cheap.

I still dont think it's going to cost a ton more than any other 4 stroke to rebuild, I think you will see options come up also like short blocks or places that are setup to properly rebuild them. People arent going to re-powering every time a plane bearing goes bad or rings are worn out. Certainly not $13K unless it's really FUBARed!

I know that if I still have mine out of warranty and it pops Ill be diving in to rebuild myself.

My SHO built in 2009 is running great and has never missed a beat. I've got to have 450 plus total hours on mine. Yamaha did replace the powerhead at their expense but I never had even a hiccup with the motor before or after the new head. IN the process of buying another boat now and it will definitely have an SHO.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast