Broken thermostat bolt on Opti

Was inspecting my thermostats and a couple tough turns when I was tryin to put it back in (I know, I know shouldn't have turned it when it was tough) broke a bolt off in the port thermostat of my 2015 225 Pro XS. Got the bolt out with a vise grip thankfully. Am I going to have to get a special bolt or can I just use the same head and threads on a stainless bolt from the hardware store? Tried the other fresh bolt in the same hole just to see if it was stripped or damaged and the bolt goes most of the way in then gets stuck within about 1/8" or less of being all the way down. I know these are 1" bolts that have 1/2" of threading that actually gets screwed in.

2. Member
    Just chase the threads with the correct tap and you should be good to go. Never hurts to put a bit of anti-sieze since the bolt is steel and the head is aluminum.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Member
    Its a M6x25 bolt > # 82130025

4. Member
    I think the bolt is an M5...takes an 8 mm head. M6 takes a 10 mm. Correct me if I am wrong

5. Member
    Get the bolt from Mercury, and tap threads with "Alumtap", or "Tap Magic".

6. Member
    If I want to retap the hole (last 1/8 inch is blocking me on a 1.0 screw, can I just remove the set screws from the plate that holds the hose in on top of the fuel rail and pull it straight out to move it out of the way a little bit for my tap?

7. Member
    Yes, but tape over the hole in the fuel rail before tapping.

8. Member
    Ok will do. Thanks

9. Member
    Sounds like you may have something in the bottom of that hole. I would take a small pick and poke around in there and blow it out with air then go at it with your tap. I have been in this situation many times on different engines. The best advise you can get is take your time.