Rebuilding a 1996 Mercury 200 serial number 0G304525

Hello all i'm going to take on a rebuild of my motor. This is because I cant afford to purchase a motor of this type. This may take a while do to funds. i know everyone has said on the forums that its not something take on by someone who is not in the industry but im willing to give it a shot. i also know that i need to find out what caused the issue in the first place. Was it just time? or the new ACU I put on it.. I'll have to figure that one out.

1) Where do I start.
    2) After taking it apart who do i send the block to for machine work (I'm on the west coast). Cost
    3) who can i order the parts from. Cost?

Any information that can help would be appreciated

Walt

2. Banned
    Give thus guy a call, Jay Smith Ph.# (832) 597-2603. Explain your situation to him he can help you and direct you on which way to go

3. Member
    start with a factory serv manual, ^^^^^^ he should be able to get you every thing ya need
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    I have rebuilt one motor twice (long story and not my fault), a lot of people are nervous of outboards. They are very simple in reality. Just follow the manual to the tee! And you will be fine.

Of course, I had a machine shop do the block work, boring, honing, sent the new pistons with the block so they match them. In total cost me around 350bucks when all said and done. Gaskets everything...this was a 93 Johnson 115.

The key is manual, and clean work area, and take your time!

FYI, I am not a mechanic, but I know what a wrench is!

Good luck!!!

5. Member
    ive got the manual to work with. anyone on the west coast to send the block too???????

6. Member
    call simon mtr sports he may know somone hes in CALI
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................