Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john721 View Post
    3000 pretty cheap under a 65000 boat
    Yep. add $2k to that and you can have a pretty awesome custom aluminum trailer with every feature you can dream up.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Gatorhyde is on the outside of the trailer and does not prevent internal rusting
    Yes, but he said his dad's boat had visible rust on the outside which would be prevented with Gatorhyde. He said he didn't know what it was like on the inside. I don't remember Gatorhyde being very prevalent in 2004, so I assume it was a painted trailer.

I was following a buddy on a highway when his tube channel trailer slowly split in two. The piece furthest to the rear that sits below the transom at first was dripping water for miles, then a big bump cracked it wide open. Upon close inspection it was rusted like rotten bark on the inside. Didn't look bad on the outside though. What a P.I.T.A. Had to tie all kinds of ratchet straps and whatever together and to the boat to make it home.
    I'll never go tube steel after that.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

4. Roachboat
    I've been watching rust spots on garage floor keep getting bigger and rust on # 1&2 cross members from winch with rust getting bigger. Water is still leaking out a week later . I crawled under today and I think hole for drain is full of gator Hyd. Is there a drain hole in members?? Pretty bad a 3 year old trailer starting this BS. I've had 10 year old tube trailer still looking better than this. This trailer not gonna last til Pay off of rig. Think I should drill out gator hyd??

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roachboat View Post
    I've been watching rust spots on garage floor keep getting bigger and rust on # 1&2 cross members from winch with rust getting bigger. Water is still leaking out a week later . I crawled under today and I think hole for drain is full of gator Hyd. Is there a drain hole in members?? Pretty bad a 3 year old trailer starting this BS. I've had 10 year old tube trailer still looking better than this. This trailer not gonna last til Pay off of rig. Think I should drill out gator hyd??
    Although I don't have gatorhyde on mine, I'd be drilling a couple of relief holes on the bottom of the trailer in low areas. This will allow it to drain and dry.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    Although I don't have gatorhyde on mine, I'd be drilling a couple of relief holes on the bottom of the trailer in low areas. This will allow it to drain and dry.
    Absolutely. Any enclosed tubing on a trailer should have a drain hole in the lowermost point and a corresponding way for air to get in from the top.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

7. Member
    my fathers trailer had some type of heavy paint on it but not gatorhyde. My belief is that the outside is far far better then inside

I drilled small relief holes in my axle at Marine Masters suggestion. If it fills with water and then freezes that would be bad.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

8. Member
    What's the difference in price most people are seeing between the two when ordering?
    2018 Phoenix 819 / 2018 Mercury 200 Pro XS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ONECASTAWAY View Post
    What's the difference in price most people are seeing between the two when ordering?
    Less than $300 for Channel upgrade

10. Scraps
    Pretty sure the upgrade was like $200/250. Worth way more than that for me.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

11. Member
    anybody have the specifics/pictures on where the trailer manufacturers drain holes on the trailer are located?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenRanger364V View Post
    Due to brackish water in the river?
    yes
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

13. Member
    I don't understand why so many people commenting think that C channel is lighter and has less strength than the tube. That might be the case if both had the same mass, but the wall thickness on the tube is less than 3/16, whereas the thickness of the C channel is 1/4. The amount of flex a trailer will have is more dependent on how well the trailer was designed, such as how many braces and where the braces were placed. Channel trailers were the standard 30 years ago. One of the biggest reasons for so many going to tube, is that it can easily be bent by machines without crimping and retains its angle. Channel requires an it more labor to lay it out in jigs to weld up.
    With that said, while I would choose channel over tube every time I had the option, I wouldn't let that steer you from the boat you want, especially if the boat is fairly new.
    2015 Phoenix 819

14. Member
    It should be illegal to build a tube boat trailer.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefisherman64 View Post
    I had mine for 6 years in S Louisiana. Year 7 I have a boat that has been garage kept and is as slick as any, but it was sitting on a ticking time bomb. The trailer was completely rusted from the inside out in the back half of the trailer. I will not own another tube style. I had to stop fishing for a period trying to find a replacement that was not too expensive. New trailers were well over 3 grand.
    Good point. Brackish water is a no no for tube steel. The Gatorhyde on my Phoenix C trailer looks good after 6 years. the only corrosion is at the board brackets and I will replace them with stainless when I do the boards. Probably this winter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12