Banned

Fish kill on Harris?

Anyone heard of a fish kill on Harris? A guy at work said he went there this past weekend and seen all kinds of fish dead. Just curious if there is any truth to it. He said it was because they had sprayed the grass but you know how that story goes.

2. Member
    Hydrilla is gone don't know about a fish kill though.

Was there a few weeks back. Was really excited to get back on Harris. There were allot of dead fish floating around up Cary Branch. Was so disappointed in what I saw, I left after 1 hour and went home.

4. Member
    What kind of fish? usually its the white perch that die off.

5. Banned
    ?
    Last edited by Heelman99; 09-20-2017 at 03:39 AM.

Over the past couple months there have been a bunch of dead perch and some catfish floating at Jordan and Harris. I saw more at Jordan this past weekend than Harris. Its that time of year with hot water and low oxygen levels in the deeper part of the lake where these fish live. They need to stay near cooler water and they end up suffocating. Happens every year. The grass is gone at harris so there is no extra oxygen coming into the lake. They are also letting it slowly draw down so they can rebuild the Hollemans ramp in November.

7. Member
    The floating fish could also be the remains of a bank fisherman's 5 gallon bucket that was dumped when he saw the Game Warden coming!!!

Saw a fish kill at Jordan several years ago, mostly stripped bass. That would have had to a very big bucket.

If I fished to live.....I'd starve to death!

9. Member
    That was definitely a fish kill. !!!

10. Member
    ^^^^^ Shiner is dead on. Saw some on Harris yesterday, mainly perch.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassranger1 View Post
    Saw a fish kill at Jordan several years ago, mostly stripped bass. That would have had to a very big bucket.
    I saw that too, the buzzards were having a feast, There were dead strippers everywhere, by the thousands
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

Quote Originally Posted by Shiner View Post
    Over the past couple months there have been a bunch of dead perch and some catfish floating at Jordan and Harris. I saw more at Jordan this past weekend than Harris. Its that time of year with hot water and low oxygen levels in the deeper part of the lake where these fish live. They need to stay near cooler water and they end up suffocating. Happens every year. The grass is gone at harris so there is no extra oxygen coming into the lake. They are also letting it slowly draw down so they can rebuild the Hollemans ramp in November.
    Was on Harris today and saw no floaters. Do you have any details on this draw down? Its about two feet low and all the reeds are high and dry.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

They are drawing it down so the can work on the new holleman ramps, T dock and fishing pier.

https://www.facebook.com/greggofishj...type=3&theater

Quote Originally Posted by Shiner View Post
    They are drawing it down so the can work on the new holleman ramps, T dock and fishing pier.

https://www.facebook.com/greggofishj...type=3&theater
    Thanks. I only use the ramp in the winter to duck hunt since it's much closer to where I hunt and the run in the dark is coooooooold. I wish I knew how low they were going to take the lake. Last year I hid the boat in the reeds but I'd have be on dry land to do that now. Between that the the lack of hydrilla I'm going to have to try some other spots.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow