1995 Johnson Fast Strike 150

(will provide serial # when I get home from work)

To preface, my outboard started making a warning tone VERY intermittently to the point where I chalked it up as a false alarm. As the season went on, it began to be more prominent, here are the symptoms I have noted:

Warning beep:
    - In any kind of chop/waves that throw the boat off level (I need to back off throttle when it beeps, the beep immediately stops)
    - ONLY at above ~1/2 throttle (4k RPMs plus, this happens regardless if the water is flat calm or choppy)
    - happens with both the spare fuel tank AND the main fuel tank (so it is not the siphon valve)
    - Water pressure seems fine (~20-25 PSI at most RPMs)

VERY occasionally when it's flat calm in the morning before take off, I can run at higher 5k+ RPMs and the motor runs strong. As soon as I hit chop the warning tone goes off.

Also note, this past weekend I noticed a fuel trail behind my outboard as I was idling. I've come to my own conclusion that I have a small fuel leak which is causing fuel starvation at higher RPMs; but I could be wrong. I do realize raw fuel in the cowling is very unsafe.

Where are common fuel leak areas that I should check first & how to test? Any thoughts on what else could be causing this?

thanks-

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If the alarm goes away after the RPM's are decreased but return over 4000-5000 RPM, it is indicating a fuel restriction. I'd check the carb bowls as they may be seeping fuel. Take the air box off and give the carbs a good once over. If you are lucky, there won't be any pressure on the fuel system so you can pump the primer bulb and check for leaks. The sheen could be from a stuck float in one of the bowls. I'd also remove the carb drain plugs and insert a small #2 screwdriver into the opening and make sure the high speed orifices are fully seated in the bowls.

3. Member
    Awesome, thank you. I'm going to test this tonight and report back in the morning.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    One thing you can monitor while it is running is to look on the port side belly pan where the fuel/oil tubes come into the motor. The upper plastic line is the fuel inlet, it is semi transparent but you can monitor air bubbles coming into the motor you shouldn't have any in a perfect world but you don't want a big influx of bubbles.

5. Member
    So I was finally able to pull the carb drain plugs tonight. Low and behold the high speed orifices were not tightly seated, and a couple were even all the way backed out, so this should be an improvement. Not sure this explains the fuel leak though? Might be a separate problem. Will report back after test drive

6. Member
    Back for an update: ran the boat on the water today, found a leak in the carb. One of the brass fittings in one of the carb bowls is missing (near the #7 bolt in diagram). Research says I can just JB weld this shut, as it's just there for the manufacturing process. Anyone familiar with this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes you can but I prefer Marine Tex. It is missing a brass BB all of them have that. It is a common issue. Should you choose to do over the winter replace the carb bowl #0433000 and install new carb kits (OEM) 0438996 and be done with it.

8. Member
    Don't want to hijack the thread, but what exactly is the point of said brass BB if you can simply Marine Tex hole if BB goes MIA?
    A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line
    ~~~~ waiting for a jerk on the other ~~~~

2007 Triton TR21XHP
    2006 Mercury 250 Optimax Pro XS

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Don't know and I've never asked good question. I know when it begins to leak, I asked support and they told me to MarineTex it or replace the bowl.

10. Member
    The BB would take up most of the space so that the MarineTex only needs to take up the gap between the BB and the bowl. Kinda like backer rod and caulk.