Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dumb question about a landing net

Wasn't sure where else to post this so here goes. I am DONE DONE DONE with the Frabill Hiber Net. I love the concept of a stowable net but this thing is junk. Opening and closing is a PITA, it has to be a certain way to retract it, and I am having to cut trebles out 50% of the time. Whats a good rubber net that wont eat up a lot of room?

2. Member
    Probably aren't any that don't eat up room.

Get coated nylon, not all rubber. Rubber nets are too heavy and too slow and cumbersome to use. Get one with a strong frame and handle then study the boat for a way to stow it using pole clips. For instance mine is stowed up against the passenger gunnel with the handle running forward on the front deck. I bought a frame I liked then bought a shallow flat bottom coated net I liked and replaced the net to get something I am satisfied with.

4. Member
    Ranger rubber coated nylon net is best I've found so far. I am to done with the Frabill....I just want a simple net that works.

This one is made in the USA and gets the job done:

https://rangernets.com/tournament-series/
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

That Ranger has the identical same flat bottom net that I replaced mine with. They work well and are light enough to use with one hand when you are fishing solo.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumb View Post
    Ranger rubber coated nylon net is best I've found so far. I am to done with the Frabill....I just want a simple net that works.

This one is made in the USA and gets the job done:

https://rangernets.com/tournament-series/
    Which model is the common size? I'm assuming the 458TS?

Here is the one that I use and it works great. Folds up for easy storage and can be opened with one hand if you forget to plan ahead.

https://www.gearbuyer.com/products/u..._fold_net.html
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

8. Member
    Here is the one I have and love it. Folds up small and fits in just about all of my compartments. With just a flick of the wrist it unfolds. I just have the 24" handle and have been able to pull in Pike up to 30" (not easily but got them in the boat). Going on 3 years with this net.

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-...ng-landing-net

I use the XPS net. like it alot, but alas I have a place to stow mine.

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-...on-landing-net
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

10. Banned
    I have a lucky strike rubber landing net. It fits in my centre rod box of my z118 when not in use. The handle telescopes into the hoop and has a ramp on the yoke so if I need it n a hurry I can open it up with one hand and a foot. And is less then half the price of a frabill.

11. Member
    Love my Stowmaster Tournament Series. I will say that while it's easy for me to deploy and fold-up, unless a guy knows how to do it, pretty much everybody has a problem figuring it out. Everyone I've had on my boat who hasn't done it looks like they're trying to figure out a frikkin Rubik's Cube when they're trying to open it up or fold it up. But once you know, it's super simple.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by medicpelle View Post
    Wasn't sure where else to post this so here goes. I am DONE DONE DONE with the Frabill Hiber Net. I love the concept of a stowable net but this thing is junk. Opening and closing is a PITA, it has to be a certain way to retract it, and I am having to cut trebles out 50% of the time. Whats a good rubber net that wont eat up a lot of room?

I feel ur pain of having to cut trebles out of nets. And it seems like the rubber coated ones only last for 1-1 1/2 seasons then trebles start hanging in them caus the rubber's worn off. I did however, stumble onto a very nice all rubber net at gander mountain. Don't remember the brand name, only rember it's got a blue ring and blue/white splash colored handle. The net is deep and the hooks just pop right out of this thing. I won't be going back to the coated nets after having this one. If you'd like, I can look and see if it has a name on it somewhere. The only thing I can rember the tag saying was "it floats".

I've tried the Rubber coated, fold up, round, square, triangle, and I always go back to my Frabill Collapsible handle 24"regular old net !! I collapse the handle and stow it under the console up against the side of the boat !! Rides just fine, and when fishing I just lean it against the front on the seat and the steering wheel with the handle collapsed and it's ready to grab when needed, yet out of the way !! AND, I can get a replacement net at BPS for about $15, LOL !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

14. Member
    Ego S2 slider for me. Rubber net medium size.

15. Member
    I use the cheaper frablill (not sure the model number. But the normal sized one they sell at walmart) collapsible net. But i replaced the net with a rubber one once the string gave away. Sooo much better. No diggin out hooks and fighting it. Ordered replacement from tw.
    Fit right on the stock handle with no problems. Perfect and reasonable priced repair.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/DotLi...ge-DLRRNB.html

16. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I use an Ego S2 Slider. I have 2 different length handles and 2 different sized rubber nets. I can create a smaller net if i'm fishing solo and a big net if fishing with someone in a tournament. I store the net heads in the bilge area and the handles in the one of the rod lockers. I also have the Ego boat hook attachment that I can put on the handle if I need to.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

17. Member
    Ego s2 slider for me best net ive found

18. Banned
    I agree go with the Coated Nylon netting material. As far as storage goes, you have to get creative if keeping the net out of your way is important to you. I put mine behind the passenger seat in a self fabricated holder.

19. Member
    What net is that you are using Dinks?

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cape Fear View Post
    What net is that you are using Dinks?
    Sorry don't remember off the top of my head on the brand. I can look tonight and get back with you. It extends out to 36" and has flotation in the handle. I wish it was about a foot longer when using but it gets the job done regardless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast