OMC gel seal II?

So we are putting a 1998 Venom 225 crankcase back together after re-sleeving cylinder 2. I read in the service manual to use OMC gel seal2 between the 2 halves before torquing down. I also read it has a shelf life of one year and replace if older than a year. My question is what? Is there anything I could use instead? My Evinrude parts store said it would have to be ordered.
    Thanks

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    loctite 518 will sub for Gel Seal, Loctite clean and prime #37509 can be substituted for Locquic primer.

3. Member
    Wow, thanks. The information passed on this site is fantastic, I would not even try to rebuild without a knowledge base found here. Thanks again

Russ

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Don't forget the Black RTV for the inner intake manifold bolts and make sure you have the black rubber cap for the brass stem on the upper intake, that is a must have item. If you did anything with the reeds use loctite blue on the screws for the reed plates.

5. Member
    Yes to both the little nipple thing and black RTV. When we were putting the crankcase back together I noticed some damage to the crankcase of cylinder #2 and that someone had welded and painted the area. I suspect there was a little leak in the welding which let the gas/oil out of the crankcase and made for some oily residue I couldn't problem solve. Likely the #2 cylinder was running a wee lean and got hot and that lead to all of our damage. I have another crankcase half from a 1998 venom 225 I'll substiture in and we should be all set to go. I also had switched out the high speed orifice to 2 numbers higher.
    Thanks again