Need cull tag clips

I am making home made cull tags for myself and a couple of friends. I have all the components I need except for the metal clips. I've used the clips from the cheap chain style stringers, but they rust up and leave stains on the bottom of the tank. I've also used clips from the broken tags of an Ardent system with no problems at all. I've looked for clips (just clips w/o tags) online with no success. Can anybody point me towards a source of clips?

Thank you.

get some stainless tig rods and make a jig to bend them all the same
    2017 Phoenix 919 Pro-XP 225 Mercury Pro-XS

3. Member
    If you look, you can find the chain stringers made out of stainless steel. Those shouldn't rust.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwishin View Post
    I am making home made cull tags for myself and a couple of friends. I have all the components I need except for the metal clips. I've used the clips from the cheap chain style stringers, but they rust up and leave stains on the bottom of the tank. I've also used clips from the broken tags of an Ardent system with no problems at all. I've looked for clips (just clips w/o tags) online with no success. Can anybody point me towards a source of clips?

Thank you.
    I've been looking too, since the announcement of non-penetrating clips being mandatory in the 2018 Bassmaster Opens. I've got the floating ropes, but am checking Menards and Sears for 1 1/2" ratchet clamps.

How much cheaper could they be? >>> http://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/b...SABEgJlHfD_BwE

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ydna View Post
    I've been looking too, since the announcement of non-penetrating clips being mandatory in the 2018 Bassmaster Opens. I've got the floating ropes, but am checking Menards and Sears for 1 1/2" ratchet clamps.
    I found some small plastic ratchet clamps that I thought would work. And I think they would work but for the flat "tabs" on the business end being too wide to fit into that nook on the fish's mouth so they'd stay in place. I had plans to just pop them off to see if they'd work that way or to see if I could put a pin through something else to replace the tabs, but just never got around to it. Heck, you could probably even file the tabs down to be smaller and make them work that way. They definitely ratchet down tight enough, and there's no steel or anything to rust. Just squeeze together then there's a little button you press to release them (positioned so that it'd be pretty tough for the fish to knock it and release it).

Searching through my eBay order history, they were called "Wolfcraft 3581" if you're interested in trying to see if you can make them work. They were cheap enough for the risk. Here's a link that'll get you 4 of them for $7 shipped ($4 + $3 shipping), and the seller combined shipping when I ordered 8 of them. I saw them listed elsewhere as being 5 1/4 inches long, but I really think they're smaller than that.

Here's an image from the eBay listing. I was thinking I had to drill out the holes in the handle to attach the tag, but apparently they already have a hole. The yellow tabs in the jaws are what I'm talking about being too wide.
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 11-22-2017 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Add photo
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    Yeah, I have an old set of cull tags that ive used for as long as ive tourney fished, and I love them. Looking for a way to convert them over to clip on. Does anyone have any advice for clips that dont come off when you lift a fish out of the well to cull??

9. Member
    stainless steel shower curtain clips from wally world
    2016 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS

10. Member
    Thanks for that great reply, DrewFlu. Those tabs look pretty big. The ones pictured on the Menard and Sears websites appeared to be a little smaller. We'll figure somethin' out.

11. Member
    Good thing you are making them, these are $50 a set and they ae out of stock.
    https://calcoastfishing.com/product/clip-n-cull/