Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Goodyear endurance tires air pressure

Says 65. Should that be what you should run.

Yes
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

No, it is possible to do that with the tire, but you can run 85#s in your 1500 truck and it would be almost like driving on ice at 80 mph. Now if you have a 50 psi tire on now, run it down the hyway and after a while jump out see tire pressure, could say 67, now if I run my endurance at 61 in fronts and 64.5 in rears, and I have 71 psi hot in both, I believe I have maximized my wear. If you have tandems on a 18' boat and 65 #s in the tires they will not be flat to the road but shaped like a motor cycle tire, less contact and more wear in the middle.

Example to this is when you put your boat in the lake and drive across a sandy paved lot the sand only sticks to the middle of the tire. You need enough weight pushing down to flatten the tire out.

I was told this this is not NASCAR though.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    Goodyear Endurance tires are meant to be inflated to 65psi. So that is what you should inflate them to. Period.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Running them at low pressure is crazy. Air pressure is what carries the load. A 5 psi drop in a pair of tires costs you 200lbs in load carrying capacity. At 45psi, an Endurance Load Range D has less capacity than all the crappy Load Range C tires out there.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Agreed but if you don't have a full capacity load you are over inflating them. So I'm not sure how you decided 5 psi less =200lbs less but use that formula to match you trailers weight to the endurance tires, my tandem wheels weigh 4100# when connected to my truck when the truck is off the scale. If I ran 65 psi wi would be good for 8800# more than double what the load is. If I had single axel id be at 4400 65 would be the ticket... take some side walk chalk and color your back tires, then drive straight for 75' and go look at the tires, if all the chalk is gone off the tread your fine, if there is still chalk on the outside edgesyour tires are over inflated. Do the same on the front axel

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Agreed but if you don't have a full capacity load you are over inflating them. So I'm not sure how you decided 5 psi less =200lbs less
    The capacity is on Goodyears pressure vs load carrying capacity chart. 5 psi is about 100lbs per tire.

If you were driving tens of thousands of miles, it might make sense to tweak pressure, but 99% of people will never have an issue with tire wear at 65psi because their tires will need to be replaced because of age or damage long before they even have visible wear.
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    The capacity is on Goodyears pressure vs load carrying capacity chart. 5 psi is about 100lbs per tire.

If you were driving tens of thousands of miles, it might make sense to tweak pressure, but 99% of people will never have an issue with tire wear at 65psi because their tires will need to be replaced because of age or damage long before they even have visible wear.
    Regardless Fishysam is right. Thats why they provide you with a pressure chart. Inflate your tires according to your weight.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by franktank009 View Post
    Regardless Fishysam is right. Thats why they provide you with a pressure chart. Inflate your tires according to your weight.
    You've clearly never pulled a trailer before. The risk of blowout far exceeds any benefit from lower air pressure. Maximum pressure is always the answer unless you are hauling an empty trailer that wants to hop.
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    You've clearly never pulled a trailer before. The risk of blowout far exceeds any benefit from lower air pressure. Maximum pressure is always the answer unless you are hauling an empty trailer that wants to hop.
    That's a pretty bold statement coming from somebody that doesn't know me. I've towed plenty enough with the years I spent working as a 310T heavy truck and trailer mechanic. There is absolutely no additional risk of blowout when a tire is properly inflated for the weight they are carrying. Over inflated tires will have less road contact, wear unevenly, may tend to sway and hop and generally cause accelerated wear to suspension components.
    You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and should consider sticking to electrical and wiring...

11. Member
    http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

Here is the chart that includes the ST endurance tires. Its often good practice to inflate tires to the GVWR of the trailer.

The biggest benifit of the endurance is the ability to drive on the interstate without exceeding the mph limits of the tire. The extra few pounds of psi can help in many scenarios but should not be done automatically. Use chalk and make sure your load is riding flat on the road. A cheaper tire good for 65mph max is where you risk blowouts when your driving 80mph the construction of a cheeper tire isn't robust and balanced enough for the rpms it's spinning. Resulting in damaging the belts giving you trashed treads, nipples, out of balance shaking your second graph stupid on the road.

Also note, I am using more psi than my trailer capacity and sticker calls for but it should be thought through, I used the hot temps after running my stock tires down the interstate, finding 67 lbs, then using more psi in the endurance only resulted in a few more psi hot, since the tires run cooler giving you less heat and wear . Like my first example with 10 ply truck tires being good to 80#'s, if you had a half ton truck with 80#'s in the tires you ARE endangering everyone on the road! Same to the trailer.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by franktank009 View Post
    http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

Here is the chart that includes the ST endurance tires. Its often good practice to inflate tires to the GVWR of the trailer.
    My Ranger Trail single axle trailer has a GVWR ran of 1860 lbs which is less than the 2200 lbs at 65 cold psi. I will tell you this that I always have made sure that I start out at 65 PSI even though the chart suggests that I could run less pressure. With that said I have seen my pressures based on my TPM system run in the mid to low 70's psi and tire temp in the 90+ degree range. I get no bounce, sway or nothing when towing 70 mph. These have been the best trailer tires I have ever towed with since my first boat in 1977. So based on the 5000 miles + that I have towed with the Endurance tire, I am sticking with the 65 psi. Thats what Ranger and a Goodyear technical rep (not a salesperson at the tire store) suggest I do when I bought them.

15. Member
    I'm not saying that you need to run the exact pressure indicated on the chart. Going 1 to 2 steps higher in the chart is ok, specially for people that don't check tire pressure often. Your single axle trailer is much more in the range of needing close to max pressure on these tires compared to a 5000lbs gvwr tandem... A tandem boat trailer with endurance tires aired to 65lbs is overkill and can be dangerous. It's hard to argue against a goodyear publication...

16. Member
    Frank, you should no better than to introduce facts into an argument on BBC.

Why don't you run your tires at the lower PSI if it works for you. If you have a blowout because of it, make sure you tell Goodyear when you try to get them to cover any damage. Then let us all know how it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Why don't you run your tires at the lower PSI if it works for you. If you have a blowout because of it, make sure you tell Goodyear when you try to get them to cover any damage. Then let us all know how it works out for you.
    Why don't you drive down the interstate at 87mph with some rain and have your 8/32nd" motorcycle tires on your trailer try to pass your truck? And wreck it all and tell your insureance company it was an assident?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Why don't you drive down the interstate at 87mph with some rain and have your 8/32nd" motorcycle tires on your trailer try to pass your truck? And wreck it all and tell your insureance company it was an assident?
    Who the hell runs down the Interstate, in the rain, pulling a trailer, at 87 mph?

20. Banned
    65psi on a single axle trailer, always.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast