Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    BTW, the chart says psi vs load LIMIT, and once again it doesn't attempt to address operating environment (temperature).

So if you don't actually weigh your trailer in fully loaded mode, and assume weight incorrectly, or even if you do weigh and run at the pressure listed in the chart you are placing your tires ar the LIMIT of their capability when they are in new condition.

Every tire gradually loses its integrity with Age and heat cycles.

Many Experienced haulers wisely choose to run tires with at least 10-20% safety margin with respect to load capacity.

You guys can do what you want, the tire companies will be glad to sell you more tires, and counting on the warranty to be applied to a destroyed tire carcass can lead to disappointment.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

2. Member
    And yet again this was covered. You are arguing for the sake of arguing. Use the GVWR of the trailer to determine air
    pressure and go up one level on the chart, even 2 if you dont check your air pressure often. This will give you your safety margin.
    Your boat/trailer will never exceed the GVWR of the trailer itself and usually have a fair bit of margin to boot. This
    can also easily apply to any other trailer as well. If you exceed to GVWR of the trailer by overloading it then thats
    a whole other problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTTEXAN View Post
    BTW, the chart says psi vs load LIMIT, and once again it doesn't attempt to address operating environment (temperature).

So if you don't actually weigh your trailer in fully loaded mode, and assume weight incorrectly, or even if you do weigh and run at the pressure listed in the chart you are placing your tires ar the LIMIT of their capability when they are in new condition.

Many Experienced haulers wisely choose to run tires with at least 10-20% safety margin with respect to load capacity.

You guys can do what you want, the tire companies will be glad to sell you more tires, and counting on the warranty to be applied to a destroyed tire carcass can lead to disappointment.

The chart shows how much weight a certain PSI is capable of holding safely. The less PSI, the less weight the tire will hold.

[QUOTE=LOSTTEXAN;8752189]

So is running at the MAX PSI rating not also "placing your tires ar the LIMIT of their capability when they are in new condition"?

5. Member
    https://www.google.com/search?client...TCEiydwYwmcwM:

When this boat is full of 300 gallons of fuel and 600lbs of ice I can assure you it is well over the trailer's GVWR.
    I could drive you by a hundred of these in an hour.

I realize this is a bass boat forum, and there are many fiberglass bass boats on single axle trailers that are at or possibly over their trailers' limits once fueled and loaded for use. I have one listed below.

Not many Lunds and Alumacrafts around here.
    Last edited by LOSTTEXAN; 09-27-2017 at 01:22 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Islands View Post
    So is running at the MAX PSI rating not also "placing your tires ar the LIMIT of their capability when they are in new condition"?
    This is what people aren't considering. If you air your tires based on what the carrying capacity of a tire at certain PSI says, then that chart would suggest I run my tires at less than 25 psi. Yeah... not going to happen. The chart also states the max PSI of the tire and it's max load with that PSI. That's exactly what these are, Minimum and Maximum. For longevity, I would run my tires somewhere in between. There's no way in hell I'm traveling 100 miles in Texas with tires that are at less than 25 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown View Post
    This is what people aren't considering. If you air your tires based on what the carrying capacity of a tire at certain PSI says, then that chart would suggest I run my tires at less than 25 psi. Yeah... not going to happen. The chart also states the max PSI of the tire and it's max load with that PSI. That's exactly what these are, Minimum and Maximum. For longevity, I would run my tires somewhere in between. There's no way in hell I'm traveling 100 miles in Texas with tires that are at less than 25 psi.
    I agree with you. I will be getting a set of the American made endurance tires and running them at the 48/50 PSI I have been using in my antique marathons. Also going to upgrade the valve stems to high pressure rated. Just don't like to run anything to the max if not required and I feel using the max psi when not required can be just as bad as running to low...find a compromise.

8. Member
    Is that a stab at us northern guys?? All we have here are lunds and alumacrafts??? lol
    You win, do whatever you want.

https://www.google.com/search?client...TCEiydwYwmcwM:

When this boat is full of 300 gallons of fuel and 600lbs of ice I can assure you it is well over the trailer's GVWR.
    I could drive you by a hundred of these in an hour.

I realize this is a bass boat forum, and there are many fiberglass bass boats on single axle trailers that are at or possibly over their trailers' limits once fueled and loaded for use. I have one listed below.

Not many Lunds and Alumacrafts around here.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Heat to me is 100* not 200* I'm sure excessive heat is harmful but if a tire never gets used they dry rot, I am told, and looked into the heat of using a tire releases chemicals/conditioners in the rubber to keep them good to go.

Nova kaw , since you have only picked a couple single lines to complain about. How many psi in a tandem trailer with a 4000 load?
    Tires don't need heat or motion to release waxes and keep the elastomers working, but heat will accelerate the effect.
    After seeing the (ridiculous amount of) deflection of a trailer tire when it hits a pothole or blunt edge of pavement, I would still run maximum pressure on a tandem if the footprint of the tire is fairly intact. And if it's not intact, the tire is probably the wrong size for the wheel, or vice-versa.

10. Member
    Kind of hard to ignore that logic, you are a trained tire builder...
    So honest question that keeps coming up yet nobody has addressed: why do I not inflate my truck tires to maximum pressure? Seems like if they are not inflated to max pressure (80psi) whenever I hit a pothole they would explode, or if I ever took a drive down to florida they would self combust??
    The more you inflate a balloon the easier it is to pop...?

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Tires don't need heat or motion to release waxes and keep the elastomers working, but heat will accelerate the effect.
    After seeing the (ridiculous amount of) deflection of a trailer tire when it hits a pothole or blunt edge of pavement, I would still run maximum pressure on a tandem if the footprint of the tire is fairly intact. And if it's not intact, the tire is probably the wrong size for the wheel, or vice-versa.

11. Member
    Not a stab at all!
    I have fished many Times in Canada, Minnesota, and Michigan, and every time except when on Lake Erie it was in an aluminum boat.
    Thats what I would own if I lived up there.

What I did a poor job of suggesting in my previous posts is that aluminum boats are lighter than glass boats, and combined with the milder temperatures you guys encounter up there I can understand running less than max pressure in a trailer tire, especially a D rated versus C rated Tire. But there is no way the Goodyear chart will work down here for the vast majority of our rigs, and for your protection I suggest you guys apply a bit of skepticism as well.

12. Member
    I run 60 to 65 psi in my 10ply crew cab 4x4 Superduty . I weighs over 8,000lbs without a thing in the bed.

I don't recall anyone suggesting routinely max psi in there pickup truck unless you always have a pallet of sod or concrete in the back.
    We have been talking trailers.

13. Member
    You do know there are many aluminum rigs that are heavier then a comparable sized glass boat...? Yea not your lunds or alumacrafts... (BTW this has absolutely no bearing on our discussion)
    But we get it, 65psi if you live in a hot climate.

Not a stab at all!
    I have fished many Times in Canada, Minnesota, and Michigan, and every time except when on Lake Erie it was in an aluminum boat.
    Thats what I would own if I lived up there.

What I did a poor job of suggesting in my previous posts is that aluminum boats are lighter than glass boats, and combined with the milder temperatures you guys encounter up there I can understand running less than max pressure in a trailer tire, especially a D rated versus C rated Tire. But there is no way the Goodyear chart will work down here for the vast majority of our rigs, and for your protection I suggest you guys apply a bit of skepticism as well.

14. Member
    Is 60-65psi the max listed pressure on those 10 ply truck tires? Whats the difference between your truck and your trailer? 8000lbs on 60-65psi??? how come they haven't burned up yet in the 3000 degree heat you guys get??

I run 60 to 65 psi in my 10ply crew cab 4x4 Superduty . I weighs over 8,000lbs without a thing in the bed.

I don't recall anyone suggesting routinely max psi in there pickup truck unless you always have a pallet of sod or concrete in the back.
    We have been talking trailers.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by franktank009 View Post
    Kind of hard to ignore that logic, you are a trained tire builder...
    So honest question that keeps coming up yet nobody has addressed: why do I not inflate my truck tires to maximum pressure? Seems like if they are not inflated to max pressure (80psi) whenever I hit a pothole they would explode, or if I ever took a drive down to florida they would self combust??
    The more you inflate a balloon the easier it is to pop...?
    Keep in mind that passenger car tires and LT tires have a max pressure molded into the sidewall, same as a trailer tire; but this is generally for the "maximum pressure during installation". The car manufacturer posts a recommended pressure for that particular vehicle for best handling and performance.
    The max pressure for a trailer tire is the pressure to run when at the maximum rated load, as the trailer tire manufacturer has no idea what the trailer and load will weigh.

16. Member
    WRONG tire builder!!! Those are not max installation pressures... Have a read:
    https://toyo-arhxo0vh6d1oh9i0c.stack...s_20170203.pdf

Your credibility is now in the back of losttexans truck buried in that pallet of sod...
    And enough is enough. We agreed that anything under 65psi in your endurance trailer tires will lead to certain doom. I don't know what else can be said. I just went out and inflated all my tires to 65psi. I have joined you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Keep in mind that passenger car tires and LT tires have a max pressure molded into the sidewall, same as a trailer tire; but this is generally for the "maximum pressure during installation". The car manufacturer posts a recommended pressure for that particular vehicle for best handling and performance.
    The max pressure for a trailer tire is the pressure to run when at the maximum rated load, as the trailer tire manufacturer has no idea what the trailer and load will weigh.

17. Banned
    WRONG tire builder!!! Those are not max installation pressures... Have a read:
    https://toyo-arhxo0vh6d1oh9i0c.stack...s_20170203.pdf

Your credibility is now in the back of losttexans truck buried in that pallet of sod...
    And enough is enough. We agreed that anything under 65psi in your endurance trailer tires will lead to certain doom. I don't know what else can be said. I just went out and inflated all my tires to 65psi. I have joined you guys.
    You could be right. Can you reference a page in the document; I don't have the time to read the entire thing.

18. Member
    Is 60-65psi the max listed pressure on those 10 ply truck tires? Whats the difference between your truck and your trailer? 8000lbs on 60-65psi??? how come they haven't burned up yet in the 3000 degree heat you guys get??
    I used 10 ply since that was the term I quoted.
    80psi is max pressure with a max load of around 3400pounds on my particular tire size.
    3400x4 tires = 13,600
    Truck's gross vehicle weight rating is 10,000lbs, so the theoretical safety margin is 10,000/13,600= 74%, about a 26% safety margin.
    This huge safety margin is why I don't have to run max psi when not at max load, along with the much more sophisticated suspension on our trucks versus most trailers.
    I do increase the rear tires to max psi when I grab that pallet of sod.

The industry norm is :

load range B is what used to be"4ply" max psi usually varies 32 to 44 depending on size and construction.

Load range C is what used to be "6ply" max psi is usually 50.

Load range D is what used to be "8ply" max psi is usually 65.

Load range E is what used to be "10ply" max psi is usually 80.

Actual max weight capacity increases with tire size, load rating and psi.

Heavy truck and industrial trailer tires , airplane tires, etc can go higher in load range and psi but that is beyond our scope.
    Last edited by LOSTTEXAN; 09-27-2017 at 07:39 PM.

19. Member
    Your math is wrong... its actually a safety margin of 36%, irrelevant.
    You realize that what your saying is exactly what we have been saying all along...
    5000lbs tandem bass boat trailer, 4 tires inflated to 45 psi. 4 x 1790 = 7160 load carrying capacity. 43% increase in weight carrying then the trailer is rated to take. No need to put 65psi in a tandem 5000lbs trailer with goodyear endurance tires.
    Suspension has negligible affect from road hazards on tires. Suspension is to keep tires planted on the ground and to reduce shock loads to the chassis.

I used 10 ply since that was the term I quoted.
    80psi is max pressure with a max load of around 3400pounds on my particular tire size.
    3400x4 tires = 13,600
    Truck's gross vehicle weight rating is 10,000lbs, so the theoretical safety margin is 10,000/13,600= 74%, about a 26% safety margin.
    This huge safety margin is why I don't have to run max psi when not at max load, along with the much more sophisticated suspension on our trucks versus most trailers.
    I do increase the rear tires to max psi when I grab that pallet of sod.

The industry norm is :

load range B is what used to be"4ply" max psi usually varies 32 to 44 depending on size and construction.

Load range C is what used to be "6ply" max psi is usually 50.

Load range D is what used to be "8ply" max psi is usually 65.

Load range E is what used to be "10ply" max psi is usually 80.

Actual max weight capacity increases with tire size, load rating and psi.

Heavy truck and industrial trailer tires , airplane tires, etc can go higher in load range and psi but that is beyond our scope.

20. Member
    I understand your 36% number, it depends on whether you are calculating the safety margin of the truck, 3,600 is 36% of 10,000, or of the tires 3,600 is 26% of 13,600.

I agree that 45psi should be ok in your example, I would probably run 50 to 55 on that weight down here on a tandem to minimize sidewall flex a little more. Sidewall flex is what generates much of the added tire heat to an already high ambient temperature here.
    The Endurance sidewalls are quite thick, and while that reduces flex, there is more rubber flexing. All that extra rubber retains more of the heat verses a thinner sidewall. So it's a bit of a "catch 22". This I why I am reluctant to run a thick sidewall high load range tire too far below its max psi in a hot environment.
    Last edited by LOSTTEXAN; 09-27-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast