Bording Ladder options

Currently own an RT178 and have an All Aboard mounted and like it very much, but wondered what other options are out there...My 178 will be sold next week and I currently have a 198 on order and I'm not a huge fan of the factory boarding ladder and how much space it utilizes.

2. Banned
    Neat little step on rear of my Polar Kraft 195 Pro. They put these on all their boats. I like it! I never did like those "larger" ladders hanging off the transom.
    I'm sure you can find something like it out there somewhere.

Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    Mine is.

Here is one that is stainless steel:

https://www.zoro.com/buyers-products...y7/i/G4833753/

Here's another that looks alot like mine:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...gaAuAsEALw_wcB
    IMG_20180809_17239.jpg
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 08-09-2018 at 02:24 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    Neat little step on rear of my Polar Kraft 195 Pro. They put these on all their boats. I like it! I never did like those "larger" ladders hanging off the transom.
    I'm sure you can find something like it out there somewhere.

Those little steps look nice but what do you grab to get in the boat when the water is 40 degrees and you have 100 lbs. of wet insulated clothes on ? Try using it now while the water is warm. I agree the factory ladders are not that good looking but I like the multiple steps and the hand rail. Ugly beats nice when you want to save your life. FWIW

6. Member
    Have used my Twist Step and had BTO make a handle that I mounted to the top of the Splash Well.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat188 View Post
    Those little steps look nice but what do you grab to get in the boat when the water is 40 degrees and you have 100 lbs. of wet insulated clothes on ? Try using it now while the water is warm. I agree the factory ladders are not that good looking but I like the multiple steps and the hand rail. Ugly beats nice when you want to save your life. FWIW
    I agree. I do quite a bit of crappie fishing in the winter and I'm usually by myself. I'm 60 years old and want to give myself the best shot at getting out of 40 degree water if I were to go overboard.
    My neighbor has an All Aboard type ladder on his boat and he was surprised what it took him to get in the boat with it after a summer swim.

I also don't wear coveralls when I'm fishing in the winter because I may need to shed some wet clothing to get back in the boat.

8. Member
    If you weigh much, it looks like you'd definitely want to have shoes on to use the beer wrench style ladder. I have not seen one in person but, is this actually better than using the cavitation plate on the motor as a step?

9. Member
    I used to think the same way I'm 66, had 2 hips replaced and am overweight. What do you grab after your on the cavitation plate to get in the boat . I'm a better safe than sorry kinda guy. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
    If you weigh much, it looks like you'd definitely want to have shoes on to use the beer wrench style ladder. I have not seen one in person but, is this actually better than using the cavitation plate on the motor as a step?
    I actually ordering one for my boat.

It works in tandem with the cav plate. You can mount it on either side. But I like the starboard side best. Left foot cav plate, right foot step. When you stand on it in the water. Mount it so your knees are at the top of th gunnel.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I just want to thank everyone for this discussion because as the boomer generation of anglers ages and keeps fishing there are way too may news reports of boats being found empty with a solo angler's body being found a day or so later. I'm also trying to figure out what sort of boarding system I need, plus my wife wants something as she likes to swim during the summer. I darned near fell out of my boat yesterday while fishing solo in a club tournament. That is what happens when you hook a 4 lb. bass minutes before weigh-in, adrenalin is pumping, and the net is caught on a cleat. It was a total comedy of errors with me nearly doing a header into the water. Somehow the fish stayed on (was well hooked) and everyone survived. Plus the water was 86 degrees so it's not like hyperthermia was going to set in but you never know if you might hit your noggin on the way out of the boat.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

12. Member
    Another idea for others who are looking for a cheap way back in the boat is to find a strap with a stirrup end. Make it about three foot long. Put a caribiner hook on the other end and store it in your back compartment. Should you ever need it snap it into your back cleat and put a foot in the stirrup to pull yourself up.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest