Question Triton trailer hub seals

Hey guys I posted this over in the trailer forum but maybe some other triton owners could give me some info.

I have a 2004 Triton TR21x series with matching trailer with oil bath hubs. I believe they are the GOLD series hubs. I am planning on doing some maintenance before a long road trip due to water intrusion in one hub. I know the Race/bearing sizes but I am wondering about the seal size. I see two seals that UFP offers. One is OD: 2.56 ID:1.68 and the other is OD:2.33 ID:1.68. I am wondering which seal is the correct one for these hubs. I want to order all the parts before I dig into the project. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    You'll have to measure the one on your trailer to make sure. If I needed the seals before I took the hub off I'd just order both and return the ones that don't fit.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    You'll have to measure the one on your trailer to make sure. If I needed the seals before I took the hub off I'd just order both and return the ones that don't fit.

+1 to this. And I'm just saying from personal experience, when ur ready to add the oil, u might wanna consider puttin Lucas hub oil in em. They run cooler and if u blow a seal u won't have to worry about losing all ur oil and burning ur bearings up instantly. That stuff sticks to everything.

4. Member
    CH so you run the Lucas hub oil and not 50w motor oil? Have you had good results? Is there any problem with oil heat expansion due to it be a heavier oil?

5. Member
    That's correct. Once my trailer developed its first leak, I was constantly replacing seals every year after that. If it wasn't a rear seal it was a front seal, if it wasn't on the front hub it was on the rear hub...Then, I think around 3 years ago, it was recommended to me to use the Lucas. I was uneasy at first, as this stuff has the consistency of honey. After replacing all the seals I put Lucas in the rear hubs and 50 weight in the front ones. The rear wheels were much cooler than the front after a drive and the fronts started leaking again months later. Drained the 50 weight out of those and put in the Lucas and never had any trouble again. Highly recommend this stuff.

6. Member
    I own a 2006 tr 200 with oil bath hubs and recently changed bearings and seals .I ordered everything from pacific boat trailers . My seal was 2.56x 1.68x 1/2 that went along with the L68149 bearing

7. Member
    Thanks TRC. What oil did refill with? I really want to use the Lucas but the heavier weight makes me nervous.

8. Member
    I used the 50 wt with no problems. Don't forget the o rings in the sight glass assembly. And the hub manufacturer recommends filling the hub all the way

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodge06 View Post
    Thanks TRC. What oil did refill with? I really want to use the Lucas but the heavier weight makes me nervous.
    Haha...I know ur exact feeling. It's the same nervousness I felt right before I started pouring (oozing) the Lucas into my hubs. After I realized how much protection the bearings were going to have if I did blow a seal and after running a 250 mile trip and feeling how much cooler he hubs were running, my fears of something going south were gone. I pull my boat on that 250 mile stretch 6 times a year and had no problems. Lucas claims to even stop leaks. Im not saying to do it, im merely recommending it as it cures all my hub leak headaches. Heck, Ranger has even recommended Lucas in their oil bath hubs. Just sayin.

10. Member
    im going to be purchasing all new site glass hub covers. Is there an o ring that goes on these before you install? Or is there a groove on the inside of the hub where it sits? Or are you referring to the orings that are built into the body of the site glass that moves to relieve pressure? I'm towing my boat from Maine to South Carolina for a tournament so I'm redoing the whole set up. Thanks for all the help guys.

Don't forget to replace the SS wear rings if they have grooves from the seals. If you want to eliminate oil bath hubs leaks, grease the bearings and replace the sight window with a UFP Trailer Buddy.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

12. Member
    Thanks guys. All the parts are on their way. Going to change out everything next weekend.