Hitch drop question

What size drop are most using on the new surburbans with the "hidden hitch". It looks to be 8 or 9 inches higher than my old reciever that was mounted under the bumper. Z520c trailer and I guess it should be as close to level as possible.

I'm using a 6" drop on my Yukon for my 521. Same boat on my sierra I use a 2" that I flip over so it's 2" up. Sounds nuts but that's what works. The hidden hitch is much higher than the under bumpers

3. Member
    Measure the top of trailer coupler from floor with trailer level. Measure top of receiver from floor when level. Subtract smaller number from larger. Wa la! There is your required drop. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Measure the top of trailer coupler from floor with trailer level. Measure top of receiver from floor when level. Subtract smaller number from larger. Wa la! There is your required drop. Simple.
    what happens when the trailer lowers the tow vehicle an inch or two when weights applied and it goes from even to nose low??
    Phillipians 4:13-For I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me

5. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachJHall11 View Post
    what happens when the trailer lowers the tow vehicle an inch or two when weights applied and it goes from even to nose low??
    I've tried to account for this a number of different times never to get it right. In fact I have two different receivers here if you're interested! Just do the calculation mentioned above and get the hitch with the correct drop.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    Personally, I like to see the trailer slightly nose high when pulling. Maybe an inch. Just enough to see it when looking from the side. This does two things: makes it a little easier to laugh on shallow ramps, and gives you a little leeway for trips where you load up the tow vehicle. Regardless, an inch or so either way at the hitch will not make a significant impact on tongue weight or how the boat tows.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

Will it cause odd tire wear between front and rear tires on a dual axle?

Thanks I may just end up going with a hitch that is easily adjustable so I can adjust as necessary depending on load. Went from a 1500 to a 2500 so all of my hitches are now to high so trying to figure it all out. old truck with a 2in drop was perfectly level and now the guessing game and im sure i wont be as lucky this time

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJHall11 View Post
    Thanks I may just end up going with a hitch that is easily adjustable so I can adjust as necessary depending on load. Went from a 1500 to a 2500 so all of my hitches are now to high so trying to figure it all out. old truck with a 2in drop was perfectly level and now the guessing game and im sure i wont be as lucky this time
    Just a word of caution - if a bit of clunking bothers you at all you will not be happy with an adjustable. I have 2 adjustable hitches. One is a screw type adjuster and you can really fine tune the height. The second is the pin type and limits you to 1" increments. The additional movement they allow is very noticeable and can be pretty annoying, especially when in traffic.

10. Member
    I have an adjustable stainless hitch and it rattles a bit on uneven ground. Besides that it is very solid hitch. The adjustable is way to go if you have different trailers on different vehicles.
    2005 Triton TR20X-Mercury Pro XS 4.6L V-8 250 HP Serial # 3B378953
    2016 Harris Cruiser 24-2016 Mercury150XL-Serial # 2B232319