Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Wanting to start tying my own jigs. Help needed.

Any input? Any kit that i can buy to get started? Not wanting to do this profit, just wanting to experiment with some colors this winter.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

Buy the heads/hooks in the size you want. Plain or painted. A vise, bobbin holder, thread, chenille, and marabou can be picked up at any fly shop/BPS for not a ton of $. I use Sally Hansen clear for cement. Don't know of any kits. I'm assuming crappie jigs. I used to paint the heads I molded but not anymore. Still get my share and a lot less work.

Craft stores sell yarn, feathers, and craft fur for less than fishing shops. Have a dog? Cat? Rabbit? Can you shoot a squirrel? (see what I'm getting at?)
    Last edited by fr8dog; 09-18-2017 at 03:14 PM.

That's a hobby I always wanted to give a try myself.

Mark Welch Bossier Parish,LA. "Sportsman's Paradise"
    Check out my FB page https://www.facebook.com/Altered-IRO...4017377675928/
    '90 PROCroft 180, Mercury 150 xr4
    '03 WaterMoccasin pirogue 54lb. MotorGuide

Texas Fishing Forum has a forum just for this. Good info there.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/...3/1/jig_makers
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Texas Fishing Forum has a forum just for this. Good info there.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/...3/1/jig_makers
    So does Crappie.com. That's where I got in contact with the guys that have helped me tremendously this summer. fr8dog is spot on with his assessment. You do not have to have big bucks in it. But you can. It's addictive. I bought a Peak rotary vise that my great grandkids will still be able to use, I order my raw jigs from a guy on Texas Fishing Forum, and all my tying supplies from a guy on both CDC and TFF. Box stores don't usually help with questions and personal contact too much. (emails, phone calls). Especially important when you are a few hundred miles away from one or a fly shop. My .02 I love it, one of my grandsons does it with me. Great fun

6. Member
    Visit crappie.com
    There is lots of info there from where to purchase materials to instructions on making the Jigs. Good luck.

Lots of folks here in TX get their tying goods from Crazy Angler. Good people and ship fast.

http://stores.crazyanglertackle.com/
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

8. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Lots of folks here in TX get their tying goods from Crazy Angler. Good people and ship fast.

http://stores.crazyanglertackle.com/
    Thanks all, I actually found a local tackle shop that carries it all. I have frequented the shop several times but never had an interest or a reason to look for tying supplies. He has it all!

Also check out www.youtube.com. Some good videos that will help you with technique. In addition to the crappie jig videos, watch a few videos about tying dry flies; again, it will help with your technique. Nothing more rewarding than catching a nice mess of crappie on a jig that you tied yourself!

10. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mysuzytoo View Post
    Also check out www.youtube.com. Some good videos that will help you with technique. In addition to the crappie jig videos, watch a few videos about tying dry flies; again, it will help with your technique. Nothing more rewarding than catching a nice mess of crappie on a jig that you tied yourself!
    Yes sir I have been living on youtube. Its pretty neat with the click off a mouse we have that much help. lol

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    Yes sir I have been living on youtube. Its pretty neat with the click off a mouse we have that much help. lol
    You certainly can get a lot of instructional assistance via YT. I watched a lot of Joey Anderson (deceased)--Custom Crappie Jigs.com, stumphunter and some others. Skiptomylou and dansjigs. Some of those guys have talked to me for good long bits getting me to understand the process, and make this a lot of fun. In their debt, and I do as much trade with them as possible. Actually a very helpful, sharing fraternity.

I've been tying a few , I use deer hair .. get you a deer tail lots of hair on it..

13. Member
    Sooner..sent you. PM.

14. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by like2fish2 View Post
    Sooner..sent you. PM.
    Replied. Wow brother, I really appreciate that pm! Thanks a ton!

15. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Thanks for all the responses! Im slowly building my arsenal. I will post pics of some finished jigs once I get everything and get some tied.