521C Water Over Stern?

When coming off pad, it is very easy to have a large amount of water wash in over the stern of the boat. I have to be very careful slowing down, and goose it slightly after slowing to surge the boat forward and keep the wash of water behind the boat. I've never encountered this problem to this extreme in any boat before. I'm assuming it's mostly a weight issue, but can the jack plate and trim setting be affecting this? Boat has two talons, 10" atlas jack plate and 250 pro xs. Typically run with jack plate set around 3-5 and trim similar. Any thoughts would be great!

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    We see threads on this topic periodically. A recent one was titled "Guess my back will never be dry again." Among the tips claimed to be of help: 1) install a hole shot plate, if you have a hydraulic jack plate without one; 2) trim down as you come off plane; 3) ease back on the throttle and maintain a steady rpm like 1000 instead of cutting way back and then goosing; 4) try cutting the wheel as the boat settles to get away from the tidal wave. As you note, weight distribution can be a problem, especially with dual Talons, but both Talon and Power Pole brackets can drag water, too, so there might be a possibility of raising or changing brackets to reduce the problem. Guys with your specific setup may be able to offer more specific suggestions. Good luck! (I might add, I have a Z520C with a 250 G1 Evinrude and dual power poles. It doesn't backwash badly at all, just a cupful or two if I don't accelerate a little as I slow down, but I have a manual plate, not open on the bottom, and my pp brackets are as high as they will go.)
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    These boats sit low in the stern and as you have found out they will take water over the stern if you come to an abrupt stop. I'm not aware of anything to change this other than goosing the throttle to lift the stern ahead of the incoming water as your are already doing.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

4. Member
    My 521c does occasionally but not very often. Mine does have the holeshot plate on my atlas jack plate.
    Greg Wood
    2016 Ranger Z521c 250 Optimax Pro XS
    Dual Power-Pole Blades 10ft
    Lowrance HDS 12 Gen3's at Console and Bow

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies. Glad to know it's not something obvious I've been overlooking. I may look into the holeshot plate and keep rocking as is.

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdn_54 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Glad to know it's not something obvious I've been overlooking. I may look into the holeshot plate and keep rocking as is.
    If you have a hydraulic plate without the holeshot plate underneath, there's half your water problem. They really scoop it up, otherwise.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    If you have a hydraulic plate without the holeshot plate underneath, there's half your water problem. They really scoop it up, otherwise.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

I didn't read all the responses so sorry if its already been mentioned but if you have the powerpole reinforced brackets installed with your poles, they do tend to funnel water in at times if you are not slow when coming off plane. You can have them removed if you wish but of course they are recommended to stay up there. They are hard to clean around too but that's another story entirely.

9. Member
    Back in the day one of Ranger's claim to fame was water would not come over the stern, my 1997 R70 never had that problem no matter how I came off pad. My 188VS gets wet back there sometimes but not to often and it's never a whole lot but I do give it a little push on the throttle as I come of pad to prevent it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Back in the day one of Ranger's claim to fame was water would not come over the stern, my 1997 R70 never had that problem no matter how I came off pad. My 188VS gets wet back there sometimes but not to often and it's never a whole lot but I do give it a little push on the throttle as I come of pad to prevent it.
    This is so true years ago I had a 97 492VS and you could pull the kill switch at WOT and not one drop of water would come over the back. My 521 I did take out the 32lb battery charger that helped a little.

11. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    It would be interesting to do a point by point comparison of what we had in the back of our boats 25 years ago compared to what we have now. Bigger batteries, and probably an additional battery; more gas; set back plates (not nearly as common then as now); poles or talons. In the modern era, I had a 2011 Z119 that came from the factory with three 27 series batteries, 36 gallon fuel tank, no jack plate, and no power poles. Didn't take on a drop of water coming off plane. As so many of us do, I eventually upgraded to 31 series batteries and added one power pole. Then it would wash half the back deck if I wasn't careful, and adding a jack plate undoubtedly would have been even worse. Ranger needs to develop a new super-foam, for double the buoyancy in the same space!

12. Banned
    just push the gas for a sec

I have 2- 8 foot poles on mine and I don't get backwash. Also with atlas hydro plate. My partners 520 has 2-10 foot poles with the extra bracket and also has atlas plate and that thing floods the back deck

Quote Originally Posted by champ223 View Post
    I have 2- 8 foot poles on mine and I don't get backwash. Also with atlas hydro plate. My partners 520 has 2-10 foot poles with the extra bracket and also has atlas plate and that thing floods the back deck
    Thats exactly what I was explaining in my post above - I recommend taking the bracket off.