Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by maxo View Post
    If you change from 188 to 198 would you be able to fish those same stump areas or will the 198 set to deep in the water. Doesn't the 188 draft less than 198?
    I believe so. I have 3 spots that I used to fish in my Basscat that I can't fish now. I can get into much more shallow water with the 188 and that has paid off for me but I sure miss being able to fish the stump fields during the spawn.
    Someone here on the forum went under water and measured the draft of an RT188 at 8.5 inches. This was with two people, full gas tank and a normal load of tackle. He also measured a Ranger glass boat at 17 inches under the same condition. Based on this, I guess the RT198P to draft 12 to 14 inches.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

2. Member
    Guys, DON'T Do it. Run from Ranger. 8 weeks and 2 days this morning I haven't had a boat. Not only that, I haven't received a call from Ranger and my dealer has stated that it " isn't their problem because it's a warranty issue". They've helped me on many warranty items before?? I have also called Ranger plenty times and left messages only to receive a call back from a disgruntled guy named Mike somethingberry who gave me no reason to believe they have even touched the boat. I bought a Ranger because of the perceived outstanding customer service and brand name. Couldn't have been further from the truth. This entire experience has been a total disappointment. My name is Rich and my number is 816-536-4030 if you have any questions or are considering a Ranger Alum call me before you do
    2017 21PHX | 250 Verado | Garmin's | PP

Insta @catchandrelease101

Quote Originally Posted by CNR View Post
    Guys, DON'T Do it. Run from Ranger. 8 weeks and 2 days this morning I haven't had a boat. Not only that, I haven't received a call from Ranger and my dealer has stated that it " isn't their problem because it's a warranty issue". They've helped me on many warranty items before?? I have also called Ranger plenty times and left messages only to receive a call back from a disgruntled guy named Mike somethingberry who gave me no reason to believe they have even touched the boat. I bought a Ranger because of the perceived outstanding customer service and brand name. Couldn't have been further from the truth. This entire experience has been a total disappointment. My name is Rich and my number is 816-536-4030 if you have any questions or are considering a Ranger Alum call me before you do

Man honestly I saw your thread. You are really the only case I've seen like yours regarding Ranger Alum. customer service. There have been others on this forum who had welds crack and needed new hulls and they were taken care of. The issues you are facing are more to do with your dealer than Ranger itself. I understand how frustrated you must be but you have a bone to pick with your dealer. If I were you I'd go get my boat from them, document everything, and call Ranger to handle directly, and when they ask you to go through your local dealer let them know why you aren't. If you are not getting the response you expect from Ranger itself you either aren't calling the right person or they are having some internal issues that you are calling into. Finding another local dealer is also an option.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    You don't typically buy an aluminum boat for earth shattering top speeds. If the 4S would push me high 50's I'd be good. If you want to run fast buy a Cat Sabre and strap a 175 on it. You'll be all over 70 MPH, maybe even a hair more if you'll run light and can drive an 18' boat those speeds. It's not like driving a 20'er at 70!

I got ALL up in the stumps on Stick Marsh this Feb with the water down. Sure enough my RT188 got hung up several times with the wind blowing me on top of them. It was a little nerve racking backing off with the big motor but we managed all week in heavy wooded areas. You'll always find ways to justify a new rig. If you really want the 198 and can afford it then "just do it."

PS, I've had two Cats, two Rangers, and a Skeeter on those same stumpy waters. Not once did I worry about scratching the bottom of my aluminum boat like we did those glass boats.
    agree with this

5. Member
    I'll be upgrading to a bigger boat soon. Will be fishing with 3 people in the boat regularly. RT188 is top of my list. If I go higher than that, I would have a hard time getting a RT198P over a Z185. Although I prefer tin, I have fished out of both and the Z185 is a pretty large step up from a RT198P and go for close to the same price. Those damn blisters though...

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

6. Member
    I made the switch from 188 to 198 and it is worth it!

Thanks Jimbo, what I really wanted to hear

8. Member
    There really is no comparisons to the pad hull of the 198. Everything else is negligible in my opinion. I fished 8 hard days out of mine and it was amazing 2-3 ft rollers no prob.

I just ordered 198. Got to have pad boat to get better ride.
    I got ,with reservations, a merc 4 stroke. Been omc since 1974
    saved 1500$. Hope I like it.
    im not interested in 70mph. My 374v runs 63-65 need be, But rarely run over 55 anyway.
    I guess 55 is tops with 150 merc. In RT 198? Ok with me
    really, that’s is fast enough. I remember way back in tournies with 35 evinrude 28 was hauling butt!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BR374 View Post
    I just ordered 198. Got to have pad boat to get better ride.
    I got ,with reservations, a merc 4 stroke. Been omc since 1974
    saved 1500$. Hope I like it.
    im not interested in 70mph. My 374v runs 63-65 need be, But rarely run over 55 anyway.
    I guess 55 is tops with 150 merc. In RT 198? Ok with me
    really, that’s is fast enough. I remember way back in tournies with 35 evinrude 28 was hauling butt!
    Most of the 198's seem to run in the 58 - 60 range! Mine does 58 with the G2 but i also have a talon on mine.
    It has a nice solid feel cruising at 55

11. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by javjoe View Post
    It has a nice solid feel cruising at 55
    BINGO!
    That's where i keep mine dialed in, and that's all I need...

"55 and this ash tray, and that's all I need...55, this ash tray and my Dog Shit Head, and that's all I need, 55, this ash tray, my Dog Shit Head, and this paddle ball and that's all I need..."

oy vey, this place done gone crazy!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

12. Member
    I own a 2015 Triton 18TX. It’s a very good boat but my next boat will be a Vexus without a
    doubt. Every last thing on the Vexus is better thought out and better done. Simple things
    like a nice large chase to run wires when changing out electronics. I could go on and on.
    So, do I like my Triton? Yes. Having said that if I had available cash I would immediately
    order a Vexus 1980

13. Member
    Just buy a nice fiber glass boat.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wdr2064 View Post
    I own a 2015 Triton 18TX. It’s a very good boat but my next boat will be a Vexus without a
    doubt. Every last thing on the Vexus is better thought out and better done. Simple things
    like a nice large chase to run wires when changing out electronics. I could go on and on.
    So, do I like my Triton? Yes. Having said that if I had available cash I would immediately
    order a Vexus 1980
    I also have a 2015 18TX and I'd have to agree with you on the Vexus 1980. I have a dealer that's 5 minutes from my house and I've looked at and rode in the 1880 and 1980 Vexus rigs.

If if I hadn't bought a new boat 3 years ago I'd definitely be buying a 1980. There's a lot of things I really liked about the Vexus but I can't justify buying a new boat when the one I have has treated me good. If I was buying today I'd want the 1980 for the 150HP and the pad hull. I live at Kentucky Lake and the extra horsepower would be better for when the wind gets up.

I have a friend that that I fish with that lives in Mississippi. He just just traded in a Ranger 521 on a Vexus 1980. He really set his up nice with dual power Powerpoles, all new Garmin electronics, stereo and a tandem axle trailer and the Evinrude G2 150 motor. I'm looking forward to fishing out of it.

15. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G3Ray View Post
    Just buy a nice SPARKLE PONY.
    Fixed that for ya, Merry Christmas....
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

16. Member
    The 4 stroke is so nice, I have a 2007 war eagle and I just put a new 150 4s on it. I put almost 70 hours on it so far and just love it. No smell, no smoke, no noise, no oil. I literally fished 4 tournaments on one tank of fuel, I fish twice as much now just do to the reduced cost to operate and own.

17. Member
    I currently own that exact right although I wish mine was white to match my white Tacoma haha. I love that four stroke....so quiet and great on gas. I see 59mph gps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12