Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it worth it (RT188 to RT198)

Trying to convince myself to sell the RT188 and order a RT198. I haven't had any problems with my rig but sure is aggravating fishing stump fields, I know the pad hull would really do better, and I think I would really like to try a 4 stroke engine, I really like the tin Rangers but having a hard time realizing how much money I would loose by selling a 2015 rig and the cost of a new RT198. By the time I sell the 188, probably wouldn't get but around 18 or so for it and a new 198 will ne about 31 or so, just hard to decide to do it, I know it's up to me and it's a personal thing when you start talking about $$$, but if any of you have sold or traded your 188. For a 198 I would like to here from you

thanks
    Jimmy

2. Member
    See what a dealership would offer you on a trade. I think on a new boat they will offer you a fair price on your current boat.

I checked 2 dealerships, they both offered 16,000.00 trade in

Dont do a 4 stroke if you want more top end

Quote Originally Posted by SE66 View Post
    Trying to convince myself to sell the RT188 and order a RT198. I haven't had any problems with my rig but sure is aggravating fishing stump fields, I know the pad hull would really do better, and I think I would really like to try a 4 stroke engine, I really like the tin Rangers but having a hard time realizing how much money I would loose by selling a 2015 rig and the cost of a new RT198. By the time I sell the 188, probably wouldn't get but around 18 or so for it and a new 198 will ne about 31 or so, just hard to decide to do it, I know it's up to me and it's a personal thing when you start talking about $$$, but if any of you have sold or traded your 188. For a 198 I would like to here from you

thanks
    Jimmy
    I am going through the same thought process for the same reasons. For some, the tendency to get stuck on stumps is no big deal but for me it is. It also came as a surprise. I got one quote to 're-power to a four stroke which led me to think that the money would be better applied to upgrade the entire rig. My perfect rig would be a 198P with a 150 four stroke and an Ultrex on front. If the right deal comes along, I will be driving one.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

6. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raisinrat View Post
    Dont do a 4 stroke if you want more top end
    Roger that...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

I would not count the four strokes out the Yamaha SHO will preform if setup right and same for Mercury. On the forum titled Ranger RT 198 top speed a SHO owner reported 62-63 mph. I believe if each 198 had a 4" jp at the right p2p they can attain mid 60s, JMO.
    Garmin Stiker 7sv and 7cv
    2017 Crestliner VT17 - Mercury 60 4S

8. Member
    You don't typically buy an aluminum boat for earth shattering top speeds. If the 4S would push me high 50's I'd be good. If you want to run fast buy a Cat Sabre and strap a 175 on it. You'll be all over 70 MPH, maybe even a hair more if you'll run light and can drive an 18' boat those speeds. It's not like driving a 20'er at 70!

I got ALL up in the stumps on Stick Marsh this Feb with the water down. Sure enough my RT188 got hung up several times with the wind blowing me on top of them. It was a little nerve racking backing off with the big motor but we managed all week in heavy wooded areas. You'll always find ways to justify a new rig. If you really want the 198 and can afford it then "just do it."

PS, I've had two Cats, two Rangers, and a Skeeter on those same stumpy waters. Not once did I worry about scratching the bottom of my aluminum boat like we did those glass boats.

" If you really want the 198 and can afford it then "just do it."

My thoughts as well! Only after recently having spent a week in MN surrounded by Yamaha, Honda ,& Mercury 4 strokes, a 4 stroke would be the only way I would go. Even saw a new Etec G2, sweet sounding motor just not as quiet and clean as any of the 4 strokes I witnessed.

10. Member
    Love mine. Only you can answer that question. If you can afford it, do it. You won't be sorry.

11. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Love mine. Only you can answer that question. If you can afford it, do it. You won't be sorry.
    Hey - im sending you a PM
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

12. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I've had my RT198p for a few days now and while I can't compare it to an RT188, I can compare it to a top-of-the-line glass Ranger and I'm very impressed with how the RT198 rides and fishes. The pad hull is very nice and I'm hitting high 50's with a full tank of gas and an extra TM battery because I'm running a 36V TM. I'll be hauling the RT198 down south in the winters to bump around the stumps and trees in the big east Texas reservoirs. I have absolutely no doubt this boat can handle those waters on all but the nastiest of days.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

It would not be worth it to me. I watched to see what the 198 offered and a few things about the layout disappointed me. Since top speed is not an issue to me, it just does not offer anything I would prefer over my 188. And it may prove to not be an issue, nothing I know of has come up, but I am a little apprehensive of a 150 on a .100 hull.

14. Member
    I live here 9 miles from stick marsh. This is the reason I choose aluminum, Florida swamp fishin. 3 Forks Marsh is worse, just north of the Farm 13, this is the reason I choose the smallest ranger. You have to weave in and out of palm trees at idle. The shorter, the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    You don't typically buy an aluminum boat for earth shattering top speeds. If the 4S would push me high 50's I'd be good. If you want to run fast buy a Cat Sabre and strap a 175 on it. You'll be all over 70 MPH, maybe even a hair more if you'll run light and can drive an 18' boat those speeds. It's not like driving a 20'er at 70!

I got ALL up in the stumps on Stick Marsh this Feb with the water down. Sure enough my RT188 got hung up several times with the wind blowing me on top of them. It was a little nerve racking backing off with the big motor but we managed all week in heavy wooded areas. You'll always find ways to justify a new rig. If you really want the 198 and can afford it then "just do it."

PS, I've had two Cats, two Rangers, and a Skeeter on those same stumpy waters. Not once did I worry about scratching the bottom of my aluminum boat like we did those glass boats.
    2016 Ranger RT178 white
    75 4S Merc, VesselView Mobile
    Simrad Go7, Baystar hydro, SpitFire X7 17p

Its your money so only you can decide if it is worth it or not. Bassboats are luxury items so there is no fiscal rationale that comes out positive. You "lost" money when you purchased your current boat. Sure, you might get a little back when you sell it but you still lost money in fiscal terms because your balance sheet is less than before. So, don't make this a fiscal decision. Sure, try to get as much for your boat as you can and get the new one a cheaply as possible but you will have to accept that this is going to cost you some money. So, focus more on the questions you had about will the new boat function better for you. If the answer is yes to some degree, then decide if it is enough better to be worth the cost to you. Since at the end of the day its all just fishing for fun, if the new boat will be more fun, and you can afford it, the why not?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    It would not be worth it to me. I watched to see what the 198 offered and a few things about the layout disappointed me. Since top speed is not an issue to me, it just does not offer anything I would prefer over my 188. And it may prove to not be an issue, nothing I know of has come up, but I am a little apprehensive of a 150 on a .100 hull.
    I'm hoping you will change your mind so I can buy your boat!

17. BBC SPONSOR
    I have a RT198P, love the boat. Would definitely not buy anything lesser. You will be happy if you do the upgrade. I also have the 150 4-stroke Merc. this motor scoots along nicely. Do not be afraid of this motor at all, they are awesome and top end is great. I am still in break-in but my boat fully loaded with fuel by myself, I am seeing 62 GPS and not a long run at all. They get up on plane super fast as well. I have a 4" hydro plate though...they help out a ton!
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    If you change from 188 to 198 would you be able to fish those same stump areas or will the 198 set to deep in the water. Doesn't the 188 draft less than 198?

19. Member
    Perzackly, especially the .100 with a 450# motor. And Maxo's comment on the draft. The 198 will sit deeper.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

20. BBC SPONSOR
    [QUOTE=GeauxTide;8734580]Perzackly, especially the .100 with a 450# motor. And Maxo's comment on the draft. The 198 will sit deeper.[/QUOTE

It does sit deeper and the boat does exceptionally well on a windy lake. That is what I am most impressed about.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast