189 TRX Jack plate

Getting a new 189 with a Mercury 150 Pro XS and was wondering if I should get a jack plate installed? What's the benefits?

2. Member
    Have the same set up without jack plate, comes up good and runs lower 50's with full load.

3. Member
    i have a '16 189TRX with the four stroke and no jack plate. Seeing top end of about 55. Heard a jackplate may get 1 or 2 mph more, but don't know for certain.

4. Member
    To me the cost of adding a jackplate to my 18XS really wouldn't be beneficial. I am getting about the max performance out of my 150 ProXS, even discussed it with my mechanic here. The little added performance just wasn't enough for me to lay down the cash to add a jackplate. Yes it was give your prop cleaner water, and handling may improve, but for that hull and the 150, I just don't see the need.

5. Member
    The plate lets you actually adjust the motor to the right height instead of just bolting it to the boat. I'd get it if I only got 2 mph more.

I had a 6" jp on my 189 TRX. It would do 58 to 59. If you ever get poles or Talons it much easier to mount them to a JP

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

Those boats can do high 50s with a 150 and proper setup which usually requires a jack plate. A 6" manual one will do the job and is not expensive compared to the cost of the boat. Not sure why we see so many questions like "I'm not really concerned with speed but will it go faster" but there is more than just speed to consider. If you set up you boat for max speed with a jack plate you can cruise more efficiently at your current speed, or faster, which means you burn less gas getting to your spots.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Oh yea not to mention you can mount your expensive down scan tranducer to the JP out of harms way. Like berudd said the manual JP is not that expensive when compared to a boat or the transduce that you will be protecting... and of course no drilling the transome of the boat to mount a transducer

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

9. Banned
    I run a 6" Vance manual on mine. I maybe gained 1-2 MPH on the top end. Handling is easier now and I don't get the "slide out to the left" when getting on pad. That was unnerving. Comes from having the motor too low.

10. Member
    How much are guys paying to install a manual jackplate on average, if all the lines are long enough and don't need to be changed out.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    How much are guys paying to install a manual jackplate on average, if all the lines are long enough and don't need to be changed out.
    Cost of new stainless hardware when you have your own cherry picker.

If you order an 18TRX instead it comes standard with a jackplate and is also rated to 200hp