1996 Merc 150 EFI issue

I have a 96 merc 150 efi on my 96 Ranger 461. Thursday sept 14 the boat wouldn't start right off the trailer. Let it sit 15 min and it fired right up and ran well for the 4 hours I was out. Starting and stopping constantly with no issues. Soooooooooooooo! Saturday morning, tournament morning, it would not start. It turns over just fine but doesn't even sound like wanting to fire. 6 miles on a trolling motor makes for a long day! Anyway, the boat has started for 2 years perfectly since I've owned it. It has a new cranking battery this March, new plugs, and I use fuel additive faithfully. New fuel filter last fall also. Any advice would be appreciated before I start throwing unnecessary parts into the motor, thanks.

2. Member
    see if you hear fuel pump running when key on should run for bout 30 sec
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    With cowl off I don't hear pump running.

4. Member
    possible ecu pump driver bad , you can test pump with jumper wires and check voltage at terminals on pump= no fuel no start
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    If I hook to power on fuel pump and then ground it, pump runs and boat will start right up. So bad ecu I'm afraid

6. Member
    yup

7. Member
    My buddy had a ECU go out on a similar motor - maybe you can find a good used one

8. Member
    It's only an $1,800 part! Wooooof

9. Member
    new one most likely no longer available

Had mine repaired by http://www.simonmotorsports.com/

Mine had bad fuel drivers and bad map sensor, they repaired and tested it.
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

11. Member
    Take the cowling off the motor and have somebody sit at the console, have them turn the key to on, there is a 1" plug on the right side of the motor if you are standing behind it. wiggle the plug and make sure that it doesnt have a bad connection. I had similar problems and after spending 2 grand on parts i was told to check that and i ended up hard wiring that instead of having a plug and I have had zero problems since

12. Member
    If it is the ECU you can always just wire the pump to key on power to get you back on the lake.

13. Member
    ^^^^^ sho could

14. Member
    That's exactly what I did

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    If it is the ECU you can always just wire the pump to key on power to get you back on the lake.
    Yes you can but dont use the purple accessory wire. Not design to handle the amperage draw of the fuel pump.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    BEST to have the drivers replaced... one good option was shown above.

When the driver drops out... it's the GROUND that is missing (not the power side). ECU "modulates" the ground to the fuel pump.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor