Better Lower for my 250 Pro XS?

The prop shaft on my 39 hour, 2016 Merc Pro XS (25" shaft) snapped just forward of the seals sending my shiny 21" Mirage Plus prop to the bottom with it. The engine is mounted high on the transom of a light 24' Glasstream CC. To run fast, the engine needs a decent amount of trim. I hope this was just a fluke. But if not, is there a more bullet proof lower option than the standard one on there now?

serial number will be needed as well all notice your new too so welcome and read all the sticky notes as well in the future those might help u I would say a torque master is probably the best
    2005 Stroker 2010-250pro xs

3. Member
    What lower unit do you have??

4. Member
    Thanks for the welcome. I ran Merc outboards for years. Then took a Merc Racing stern drive break for about a decade. Got tired of breaking XR upper gears so I bought my current rig last year. Stickies were extremely informative. I scanned them first but didn't address my issue. I have the standard 1.75 ratio lower with the 1" propshaft. Model 1250P83BD. S/N 2B231534.

5. Member
    Get a Gen2 Torquemaster.

6. Member
    OK. I'm sold. Where can I look up the correct p/n? What I see listed for my s/n only shows the 20" shaft model. From what gather any 25" TM will bolt up but I need the shaft with the correct upper splines to fit the 3.0L crank. Is that accurate? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Get a Gen2 Torquemaster.
    At the very least, a lower unit with a 1.25" propshaft. I believe there are several aftermarket companies that manufacture billet propshafts for off shore racing.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Get a Gen2 Torquemaster.
    no merc 25 in G2 TORQUE MASTERS
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    I guess its a Verado style then.

10. Member
    Merc agreed cover the break under warranty and to upgrade me to a TM2 with me paying the difference of the suggested retail between the TM2 and the FleetMaster. I don't agree with them using the full suggested retail prices to determine my end. Prefer they charged me the difference of their actual costs. Might have to suck it up unfortunately.

I can't find a 25" TM2 anywhere but they are making it work.

11. Member
    you wont find one they don't build a 25 in TM2 only a 20 put a gen 1 on it and roll on
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Member
    If you look on Merc Racing, they offer that as an option on 300XS in all lengths. I also s/w Merc two days ago and they said it is available. Hope it works out. Will let you know.

13. Member
    I did look and also talk to merc because I am a MERCURY dealer and no GEN 2 30 IN SHAFT torquemaster gearcases are available only gen 1 p/n 840470T30 let us know if you find one GEN 2 TORQUE MASTER 30 IN SHAFT

14. Member
    Joe, like any corporation, when you asked the same question t0 different people, you can get different answers. You were right. It can't be ordered in a 25" shaft. But I was told to have the dealer swap out the 20" shaft of the TM2 for a 25" one. I'm not going that route. I was really excited to run the TM2 which is supposed to be faster. Not excited I have to settle for the Gen 1 version and pay a couple grand for the upgrade.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sales... Welcome to BBC! Please be sure to review the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

You will be better off in the long run with the gearcase you had originally. There are good reasons why the G2-TM is not used in 25" models, and though it "could" be done, it's really not a good or viable option for you.

What occurred in your gearcase was, from your description, simply a faulty friction weld on the propshaft. Not real common, but it does happen occasionally.

Glad to hear Merc is getting you taken care of.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor