Thread: Livewell timer

Livewell timer

Have 1997 186 and my livewell pumps run continually in either manual or automatic. I do not have a timer switch nor have I found one. Does anyone have any idea where I can find the automatic timer, or does the pump have an automatic timer built in.

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    According to the 1997 brochure, it had a timer switch. My 99 had one on the console. If I remember correctly, you could set it so you could increase or decrease the run time when you set your livewell rocker switch to automatic. In manual position, it should run continuously.

Check the OEM thread pinned up top. It may show a source for the timer...not sure. If not, someone here will know and help.

3. Member
    Mine doesn't have the timer switch. Only switch I have is a 3 way on power panel. Auto off and manual are the only options on switch. I'm sure there is a timer somewhere, but who knows where.

4. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Hopefully, someone here will know. The brochure definitely says it has one, but who knows. Brochures are usually accurate, but mistakes can be made.

If no one here helps, contact C&O Marine. They used to be a large Champion dealer, and their guys should be able to help. In later years, the timer is pre-set and cannot be adjusted...even if I could find it!

5. Member
    On my 1996 186 the livewell timer was under the console, it looked like a small computer board. I believe it had black brown and orange wires going to it. I replaced it when it went bad with a new switch with the timer built in.

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    My 1998 manual shows on the Tournament Series shows an Orange wire going to one end of the switch from the 3-pin plug (pin 2). That Orange wire also goes to the timer board. On the other end of the switch, there is a Brown wire that goes to the timer board. On the center pole of the switch, there is another brown wire that goes to the 3-pin connector (pin 3). Pin 1 of the 3-pin connector has a Black wire that goes to the timer board. So, if the timer board is not potted (epoxy encapsulated), and you know an electronics geek, he can probably troubleshoot and repair the timer. Only other option would be to find an aftermarket timer such as the Rig Rite #520 which will allow you to maintain your OEM setup.

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    OK, found my 1995 manual and it is slightly different. The Contender Series had 4 switches on the panel; Aer Auto/Manual, Bilge, Nav/Anc Lts, and Pwr. Each of the switches has an associated fuse and the panel wiring harness is a 15 pin cap plug rather than the 3 pin mentioned above. However, the wire colors going to the livewell timer PC board are the same and have the same function as above. Since there is no operational documentation in either manual, I assume there was no recirculation (Hydro) feature on the Contender / Tournament Series boats. The switch ran the Aerate (fill) pump continuously (Manual) or intermittently (Auto) and pumped lake water into the livewell which depended on the overflow to keep it from overfilling? Someone that has a mid-90s Contender will have to verify that. The Elites had the separate Aerate and Hydro switches to fill and recirculate.

8. Member
    I appreciate the wiring description guys. The file I have on computer with the schematic won't clear up enough to determine what is what, so that really helps me out. Guess I'll start tracing wires from switch panel and see if I can find the timer.