Thread: Spybaiting 101

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spybaiting 101

So I have been fishing these baits for a long time. I work at a large tackle shop on Lake St. Clair and I get a ton of people coming and asking how to fish these baits. So I put together a video series on this techinque. I go over the history of the bait, the gear, and how to fish it. My goal with this videos is try and help guys that may be having a tough time fishing these baits currently figure things out or for guys that are wanting to learn about this techinqe shorter there learning cruve.

I hope these help someone out with Spybaiting.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

My first (and maybe last) attempt at Spy Baiting is with a Duo Realis 90. It falls nose first, and about like a rock...fast. Not what I expected, and not what you showed in one of your videos. Is mine defective or something? If it fell horizontally, I'd expect better results. Does the DR 80 really fall horizontally like you demonstrate in your video?

I'm fishing it on a GLoomis CBR 841 with Curado SF 5:1 and Tatsu 6 lb test. All I caught was a "Rock Bass" (close to a Warmouth but stretched a bit) on it. Frustrating...

3. Member
    It's a situational tool. Usually there are better ways to catch bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    My first (and maybe last) attempt at Spy Baiting is with a Duo Realis 90. It falls nose first, and about like a rock...fast. Not what I expected, and not what you showed in one of your videos. Is mine defective or something? If it fell horizontally, I'd expect better results. Does the DR 80 really fall horizontally like you demonstrate in your video?

I'm fishing it on a GLoomis CBR 841 with Curado SF 5:1 and Tatsu 6 lb test. All I caught was a "Rock Bass" (close to a Warmouth but stretched a bit) on it. Frustrating...
    if your only catching Rock Bass then you could be fishing the wrong areas. The Spinbait 80 falls horizontally the most out of all three models. The spinbait 80gfix and 90 do you have a little bit about nose down attitude to them. It took me sometime to get these baits to work for me but once it started to click it was big smallie after big smallie for me. Stick with it and don't give up.

This particular DR 90 falls straight down, nose first. I'm wondering if it's defective? I have a hard time getting away from what works. Arrrgggh! Damned cell phone pictures...why do they turn sideways when posting, when they're not that way in my PC? Anyway, both fish were caught on the same lure...Shaky/5" Zoom lizard.

6. Member
    I'd bet you bought the GFix and not the straight 80

I have caught just about everything on the Duo Spybait. Just added another speices to the list tonight.lol

Quote Originally Posted by medicpelle View Post
    If you check the side towards the back hook it will say G-Fix on one of the sides if it is a G-Fix.

Quote Originally Posted by medicpelle View Post
    Who, me? Naw, it's a Duo Realis Spinbait 90. Color is "Ghost Minnow". Should work, but I don't like the straight down nose-dive. That just seems wrong, which is why I've wondered if it was defective.

11. Member
    The 90 falls different than the straight 80 from my experience.

I was recalling that they have a weight system that shifts fore/aft, and thought maybe it's stuck forward, or otherwise fubar. I don't understand why they would make it to fall any different than the 80 size. Doesn't seem logical to me, anyway.

Yup Spybaits are still working.

14. Member
    Great videos!

I need to replace the hooks a couple of 80s and 90s. What type of hooks do you recommend (gamies, owner?) and what size?

Thanks for your videos and any help you can provide!

Going to be 100% honest here I have never had to replace any of my hooks on them yet. But if I was going to it would be Hayabusa TBL930.

16. Member
    A-marts treble hook is the only way to go. #6 on the 80's, #4 on the 90's.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    I was recalling that they have a weight system that shifts fore/aft, and thought maybe it's stuck forward, or otherwise fubar. I don't understand why they would make it to fall any different than the 80 size. Doesn't seem logical to me, anyway.
    Your bait is definitely defective. I'd give duo a call and i'll bet they make it right. All the duo's i have fall horizontally and shimmy very well.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Your bait is definitely defective. I'd give duo a call and i'll bet they make it right. All the duo's i have fall horizontally and shimmy very well.
    Thank you very much for replying to my question! Anybody have contact info for Duo Realis in the USA? I'm not calling Japan...I'll just trashcan it before I do that!

19. Member
    I catch more trout on them then bass lol.

Look up David Swenseid on Facebook. He is the USA rep I believe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast