Thread: Raccoon Lake

Raccoon Lake

When the weather cools down a bit I'm thinking about taking a road trip and trying Lake Raccoon out. I've never been there. So how is the lake for boating, shallow or not, can you run a 19 foot bass boat without any problems, what would be the best ramp to launch at, anything in particular that I should watch out for? How is the fishing? Also I would be interested in fishing for stripers if they have any there. Would like to hear some tips. Thanks

2. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    The lake is fine for any bass boat. You can run almost anywhere. The best ramp is in the main campground just off of US 36. If you go on a weekend, anytime soon, it will be a major zoo out there. Although being after Labor Day weekend, the pleasure boat traffic may be somewhat less than normal. They do catch Stripers there, but I don't know anything about it. I have seen several folks trolling for them near the dam.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

3. idbefishing
    This guy may help you out on the stripers http://www.reelmeinfishing.com/deals.htmf

4. Member
    I have been out there the 2 weekends prior to this weekend. The bass bite has been tough for me. Raccoon has no vegetation. It is all rock and clay with some docks. Not much wood. I don't fish for strippers so I cannot give you any advise. I use the Walker ramp. You don't have to pay the park entry fee if you use Walker. The boat traffic is aweful during the summer as Billius said. You will be fine this time of year. Best wishes.

5. Member
    Thanks for the info guys!

6. Member
    make sure you don't go while the covered bridge festival is going on,36 will be a mess