Thread: G2 fuel supply

G2 fuel supply

My original installer recommended against an on-board fuel water separator saying that it just increased resistance in the supply line and that the on-motor separator was all that was required. I have tried to go with his advice but I just can't stop worrying about this issue.

Finally, caving to my paranoia, I decided to install the on-board separator on my own and did so last week with a Racor 3214 clear bowl and Racor Vacuum gauge setup. I have read the service manual and the pre-delivery guide but I still have questions about priming the fuel system of an AF model G2. From my read of the service manual it appears that the system self-primes on turning the ignition key. What happens to the air in the fuel line? Does it pass thru the lift pump and eventually clear via the vapor separator vent solenoid and then on to the plenum? I ask because I am installing a fuel water separator and while I am sure that there are no air leaks in the system, a small amount of air/vapor collects in the fuel line after the engine is turned off. This air sits in the supply hose until throttle up and then is sucked into the the motor - I assume that's where it goes. Is this normal or is it a threat the the health of the motor.

I am also wondering if you normally prime the system after changing out the fuel water separator simply by turning the key and letting the lift pump pull fuel through the fuel lines until all of the air in the new filter is displaced by fuel. Or do you purge the system by using a squeeze bulb temporarily placed at the end of the fuel line before it connects to the fuel lift pump inlet hose under the front cover. The manual does not mention purging the air in this manner. I assume it is not necessary.

1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

2. Member
    The G2s VST is a lot more sophisticated then the G1. The G2 has sensors in it to determine fuel level, so where a G1 VST would run out of fuel without you know it and run the engine lean, the G2 will issue a fault if there is a problem limiting the amount of fuel delivered to the VST. So when you replace the fuel filter and are using the recommend procedure in the manual and electric pump to prime the system there is a chance you will store a fault because of a low fuel level in the VST but that is normal.

I wouldnt use a temporary primer bulb prime the system. The vent solenoid is only open when the electric lift pump is running, if your priming it without the electric pump running it could cause some issues because the air would not be able to escape.
    Last edited by Evinrude57; 09-16-2017 at 11:05 PM.

Good information. Thanks.

When I installed the separator, I first placed a pair of hose pinching pliers on the inlet hose of the lift pump just above the connector fitting to the fuel line under the front cover. I then disconnected the fuel line and attached the primer bulb to it and another hose from the primer bulb to a 5 gallon fuel can on the floor. Then, using the primer bulb, I pulled fuel from the boat thru the newly installed on-board separator and fuel line until most of the air was purged and the separator and fuel line were filled with gas. Then, I clamped the fuel line below the primer bulb, removed the bulb and reconnected the fuel line to the lift pump inlet hose connector under the front cover. After pinching the new Oetiker clamp, I released both pairs of hose pinching pliers, turned the ignition to run the lift pump and inspected for leaks.

That's OK, isn't it?
    Last edited by 86 inches; 09-17-2017 at 09:44 AM.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

4. Member
    Sounds good to me