Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

owning a game preserve?

I am considering opening a wildlife game reserve here in TN. Have researched Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency and TN Resource Commissions so have a decent idea of how to get it started. Am wondering what hidden headaches might be in running one? Next spring I'll be planting native grasses and some goodies for the quail habitat requirements. It won't be a fancy place with lodging and bird cleaning so I can keep the costs down. What have you experienced in running a preserve? Thanks for your knowledge.

Tower hunts for pheasant are popular right now. You'll need good dogs, and lots of them. All bird hunters love to watch good dog work.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

I've hunted a few preserves and if you can get birds that actually fly that would be great. I have a Lab, so she does not point, and she caught a lot of the quail before they flew. Caught a couple pheasant too. And they where in cover so it's not like she just saw them sitting in the field. Also, every place I've been too or read about overs bird cleaning services.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. BBC SPONSOR
    thats close to Nashville....smart idea. I would come visit for sure.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I've hunted a few preserves and if you can get birds that actually fly that would be great. I have a Lab, so she does not point, and she caught a lot of the quail before they flew. Caught a couple pheasant too. And they where in cover so it's not like she just saw them sitting in the field. Also, every place I've been too or read about overs bird cleaning services.
    I have been to 2 game preserves. One was great and the other sucked bad. The bad one didn't put out the birds till we got there and then only drove his truck around while we watched and tossed the birds. Reminded me of an Easter egg hunt. That won't happen on my place. The birds I buy are raised in a flight pen. That helps with their flying ability but can never replicate wild bird. I currently have one guide with a trained Brittany. Am considering buying either started dogs or all ready trained dogs. Have looked at some GSP kennels but haven't decided. Will more than likely clean the birds for the clients. Am looking forward to some hunters bringing their dogs and watching them hunt.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman25 View Post
    thats close to Nashville....smart idea. I would come visit for sure.
    Thanks Tyson. i'll let you know when we are operational.

7. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    We always took our dogs to the ones I went to when I was young.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF View Post
    I have been to 2 game preserves. One was great and the other sucked bad. The bad one didn't put out the birds till we got there and then only drove his truck around while we watched and tossed the birds. Reminded me of an Easter egg hunt. That won't happen on my place. The birds I buy are raised in a flight pen. That helps with their flying ability but can never replicate wild bird. I currently have one guide with a trained Brittany. Am considering buying either started dogs or all ready trained dogs. Have looked at some GSP kennels but haven't decided. Will more than likely clean the birds for the clients. Am looking forward to some hunters bringing their dogs and watching them hunt.
    I think I went to that crappy place too LOL. Pointing dogs are definitely better at a preserve than flushers. I'd get closer ranging dogs since they probably don't need to cover miles and miles of land.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Member
    I have been a member at 3 preserves and probably hunted on about a half dozen. My experiences have been all over the spectrum from the nicest field with the worst customer service to mediocre cover and a rock star experience. I had thought about buying one a few years ago and backed off of it. Tower shoots are all the rage and a good source of revenue but the best ones I have been too offer a REALLY good meal to go along with the hunt. I would make sure that i had 2-3 or more separate sources to get your birds from and ask if they supply birds for your state stocking program....the state will get their birds before you. I would invest HEAVILY with local gun clubs and hunter ed programs....those are new hunters, often youth and women and they will be super excited to see a dog, a flush and in my opinion upland hunting is a much better "gateway hunt" than big game for a new hunter. Speaking of women....make your people, program and facilities female friendly. They are the largest growing demographic within the hunting community. If mom wants us to cut the lawn we cut the lawn....if mom wants to go hunting, now you have at least 2 happy people showing up for a hunt. Have well mannered dogs and trainers both pointers and retrievers and remember ......if you make your passion your business you will never to work another day in your life....you will be living your passion. Good luck.
    5 Short of a limit

Here's a thought as well. If you have some open pasture, plant sunflowers and/or other seeds crops to have a Labor day dove shoot. Around here they go for about $125 a gun and that usually includes a crappy meal. Other days after the opener are $25ish. Then, when it comes bird season, you can use that as cover for planting birds.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Member
    Here's a thought as well. If you have some open pasture, plant sunflowers and/or other seeds crops to have a Labor day dove shoot. Around here they go for about $125 a gun and that usually includes a crappy meal. Other days after the opener are $25ish. Then, when it comes bird season, you can use that as cover for planting birds.
    For dove don't I need gravel and water close by?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EJmagnum186-NH View Post
    I have been a member at 3 preserves and probably hunted on about a half dozen. My experiences have been all over the spectrum from the nicest field with the worst customer service to mediocre cover and a rock star experience. I had thought about buying one a few years ago and backed off of it. Tower shoots are all the rage and a good source of revenue but the best ones I have been too offer a REALLY good meal to go along with the hunt. I would make sure that i had 2-3 or more separate sources to get your birds from and ask if they supply birds for your state stocking program....the state will get their birds before you. I would invest HEAVILY with local gun clubs and hunter ed programs....those are new hunters, often youth and women and they will be super excited to see a dog, a flush and in my opinion upland hunting is a much better "gateway hunt" than big game for a new hunter. Speaking of women....make your people, program and facilities female friendly. They are the largest growing demographic within the hunting community. If mom wants us to cut the lawn we cut the lawn....if mom wants to go hunting, now you have at least 2 happy people showing up for a hunt. Have well mannered dogs and trainers both pointers and retrievers and remember ......if you make your passion your business you will never to work another day in your life....you will be living your passion. Good luck.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. Great points to consider.

13. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    My son is spending between 40 and 50k taking clients dove hunting this year, so there is some money in it. That includes lodging, meals and time on the sporting clays range.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF View Post
    For dove don't I need gravel and water close by?
    Not really but I guess depends on what you mean by close by. I'm sure there are ponds and what not in the area. Heck, I think dove drink our of puddles mostly anyway. Sure, those kinds of things do help, as would power lines, but the birds will come if the seed is right. I would bushhog a good portion of the plants though to scatter the seed and clear the ground which doves like.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Not really but I guess depends on what you mean by close by. I'm sure there are ponds and what not in the area. Heck, I think dove drink our of puddles mostly anyway. Sure, those kinds of things do help, as would power lines, but the birds will come if the seed is right. I would bushhog a good portion of the plants though to scatter the seed and clear the ground which doves like.
    Be careful bushhogging the sunflowers as that can get you in trouble for baiting in Missouri. Not sure on the rules there, but you can harvest the sunflowers, but it must be a normal agricultural practice so going through and bush hogging a good crop is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    Be careful bushhogging the sunflowers as that can get you in trouble for baiting in Missouri. Not sure on the rules there, but you can harvest the sunflowers, but it must be a normal agricultural practice so going through and bush hogging a good crop is illegal.
    Varies from state to state. I know it is legal in KY and NC. Even the state does it on the fields they plant. The OP is in TN.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

17. Member
    I would differently be interested, I live in Clarksville and have two Brittanys. When do you expect to be open for business?

18. Member
    When I went hog hunting I had to sign a paper saying $2000 if you shoot the damn dog.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robcmeek View Post
    I would differently be interested, I live in Clarksville and have two Brittanys. When do you expect to be open for business?
    I'm shooting for November. Thanks for your interest.

20. Member
    Please let me know I am headed for Kansas on 11/10/17 for 2 weeks and would like to prepare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast