Thread: Scales

Scales

What is best weight scales to cull fish with

2. Member
    Gambler Digital culling scale

3. Member
    An accurate, repeatable one. It doesn't really matter the actual numbers on the boat. It only matters that you can tell accurately what fish is heavier.

You want a scale that will weigh exactly the same when you place the same fish on it every time. That's it. I've been to tournaments where my scale has been a half pound light from weigh in per fish but dead on on others. But it's repeatable so it works.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

I use a Rapala Digital one. I believe it's called the "Tournament" scale. They make one that weighs up to like 15 lbs and another that will weigh up to 50. They both allow you to store up to 8 fish in memory and will give you your total weight. Has a touch screen, so if you're culling you can replace the smallest weight with a largest one to keep track. Each "bin" is numbered, so you can number your cull tags and keep track that way as well. I believe it's the same one you see Jacob Wheeler using when he's culling his fish.

I had the 15 lb one and lost it somehow (pretty sure it was stolen...), and replaced with the 50 lb one that was cheaper for some reason. If you do it, go with the 50 lb one. Really minor consideration, but it's every bit as accurate as the 15 and if you catch a giant something you can still weigh it. Maxxed my 15 lb one out on a giant bigmouth buffalo I caught last year. Still would like to know what that thing weighed....

Note that even if you end up with the 15lb one, it's 15 lbs per fish. So if you had a limit that was over 15 it still has no problems keeping track...maybe that's obvious, but I was concerned when I first got it for whatever reason.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    This one. Extremely accurate (I've tested it against many other scales), super durable (dropped mine in a field where it sat for 2 months, found it again and it turned right back on) and cheap!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZWNGZFO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    This one. Extremely accurate (I've tested it against many other scales), super durable (dropped mine in a field where it sat for 2 months, found it again and it turned right back on) and cheap!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZWNGZFO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Man, you had better luck than me. I bought the same one and it worked the first time out. The following weekend, after having sat in a dry locker for a week, it didn't work. New batteries and everything...never worked again.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    For tourney fishing I use a balance beam. Always works consistently and does not need batteries. But, I do like the features and review of the one DrewFlu has. It is on my list of things to buy soon or put on my Christmas list. I don't know that I will use it during a tournament but I may change my mind after I see how it works. Seems like a good scale for the money.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Man, you had better luck than me. I bought the same one and it worked the first time out. The following weekend, after having sat in a dry locker for a week, it didn't work. New batteries and everything...never worked again.
    I can understand that. They're cheap and clearly 100% made in China. Guess YMMV OP but mine have worked surprisingly well, for the price!