Thread: Rods and reels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rods and reels

I hear about people needing all these specialty rods and reels,Of course I am not a tourny ,guy However I just cannot see spending hundreds of dollars on all these rods and reels, maybe I am just frugal,but to me this seems kind of like an obsession, like women with their shoes ,and purses Of course there are some rods that I do prefer.But one can only fish with one rod at a time, unless you are bobber fishing, or bank fishing.Now don't get me wrong I know the specifics of rod and reel choices, and have 20 plus rods, but that's been built up over the years. I just think it's a little bit over the top for some guy's

Thanks for sharing

3. Member
    Totally agree Crestliner, I agree that rods are like golf clubs (although I have never golfed), however, I would think that you could cover most situations with 5-10 rods.

Go try to throw a Jerkbait on a 7'3" MH "do-it-all" rod... then try punching some mats with the same rod/reel/line... it can physically do both, but there are MUCH better options that will also land more fish!

Could I get by with a few rods? Sure, but I enjoy tailoring my rod/reel setups for the type of fishing Ill be doing. It's fun and makes the actual fishing (not catching) more enjoyable as well.

To each their own.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

5. Member
    Everyone has their own thoughts on this and what they think is obsessive and too much--thanks for posting yours

6. Member
    Six rods is the correct answer. No more, no less, and all need to be $300. It's science.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matts4949 View Post
    Six rods is the correct answer. No more, no less, and all need to be $300. It's science.
    guess I need for you to explain the science to me as I have considerable more rods than six!

8. Member
    I play golf with 6 clubs, fish with 4 rods... life is good.

oe

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Thanks for sharing
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Thanks for sharing

LOL +1

I agree with the OP. I see lots of guys buying a new rod and reel for every single technique they want to try. Rods and reels are versatile and each can cover many different techniques. That doesn't mean you can flip with a 5'6" ML spinning rod. But, I rarely need to carry more than 5 rods max for how I intend to fish.

I think the analogy to women and their shoes will hit close to home for some BBC'ers!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

12. Banned
    I'm guilty on most of this... if a manufacturer said it's a Tuesday cloudy afternoon rod someone would buy it. And use it only then!

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner16 View Post
    I hear about people needing all these specialty rods and reels,Of course I am not a tourny ,guy However I just cannot see spending hundreds of dollars on all these rods and reels, maybe I am just frugal,but to me this seems kind of like an obsession, like women with their shoes ,and purses Of course there are some rods that I do prefer.But one can only fish with one rod at a time, unless you are bobber fishing, or bank fishing.Now don't get me wrong I know the specifics of rod and reel choices, and have 20 plus rods, but that's been built up over the years. I just think it's a little bit over the top for some guy's
    Well luckily you only have to worry about how you spend your money. Some folks found a need or a desire to spend more and glad they are able to do so. Luckily we all have choices.

14. Member
    I own lots of shoes i dont wear......

Ag
    I am the real Scubby McScruberson!

15. Banned
    And here I was doing all wrong this whole time.

16. Member
    Hmmmm.... Thought I smelled something

17. Member
    Like all sports its 95% mental and 5% equipment

18. Member
    You got it right when you called in an obsession. One many of us are guilty of, but not only in fishing. A person can get that way with any hobby. The way you ended your post is very insightful for what you are wanting to accomplish.

Personally I wouldn't have near the gear I have if the fishing was any good in my area. New (and new-2-me) gear is what keeps me going out. Otherwise I'd have quit (again) 2-3 years ago.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matts4949 View Post
    six rods on the deck...12 more in the rod locker...12 more in the basement (and maybe a few in the garage)...

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    six rods on the deck...12 more in the rod locker...12 more in the basement (and maybe a few in the garage)...
    +1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast