Optimax rough running

2001 optimax 135 OT343374. Rough running at idle intermittently. Turn key off wait for engine and electronics to turn of after few seconds. Turn key back on wait for fuel pump to prime up then restart motor. No miss or rough idle. Run boat at trolling speed for random amount of time and miss and rough running return. Also seem to get a rough idle and rpm surge if I push and pull on the throttle from neutral to forward randomly.. Rough/miss seems to go away after I restart the motor. Then comes back after random amount of time. What could it be?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'd be doing a Voltage Sweep Test on the TPS... paying close attention to idle. Also verify throttle cable adjustment.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Gotcya i will be sure to tell my merc tech that. He said he will be looking at it this week. any specific way to test tps? and any special adjustments on cables? thank you

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Tech should be well versed in both. Everyday items.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor