Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking about going with a Vrod

Ive had 250 ProXS' since 08. I'm looking at buying a new boat soon and going 4 stroke. How many of y'all made the switch? Did you regret it? The boat will be a 520 Ranger. What kind of speed loss/gain can I expect?

2. Member
    I went from an OptiMax to a Verado and don't regret it for a second.

Quiet, smooth, power. My favorite part is the DTS/fly by wire throttle and shifting along with integrated power steering. If I ever need to repower I will get another Verado. I can only imagine how good the next generation Verado will be as Verado is going on 13 years now.

3. Member
    My last motor was an XS 250. I now have a new Nitro Z20 with 250 Vrod. Fantastic motor. As stated above, supper quite, smooth, and a lot of torque . My 1 and only complaint is the fuel mileage. It sucks fuel, lots of it. I would say I use double what my XS used. My fuel monitor (smart gauges) say I average 1.4 mpg. And I don't run it open much because it sucks even more. Other than that, great motor. I do feel its just as fast and the hole shot is much better.

Never question it, total power plant
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

5. Member
    I have a 2017 ranger 520c with 250 verado and suffered no speed loss, no regrets at all.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlkingsbury View Post
    My last motor was an XS 250. I now have a new Nitro Z20 with 250 Vrod. Fantastic motor. As stated above, supper quite, smooth, and a lot of torque . My 1 and only complaint is the fuel mileage. It sucks fuel, lots of it. I would say I use double what my XS used. My fuel monitor (smart gauges) say I average 1.4 mpg. And I don't run it open much because it sucks even more. Other than that, great motor. I do feel its just as fast and the hole shot is much better.
    There is something seriously wrong with your setup or engine if you are averaging 1.4mpg. I had a 30ft center console with twin Yamaha 3.3 F250s and could get 2.0mpg out of it if I was careful. In fact, most V6 twin engine offshore boats are in the 1.5-2mpg range. You should be getting the same 3.5-4.5mpg as every other fairly new bass/bay boat on the water.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

7. Member
    This is not your boat but it is a 20ft bass boat with a 250 Vrod. You should be similar.
    https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...units=imperial

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    There is something seriously wrong with your setup or engine if you are averaging 1.4mpg. I had a 30ft center console with twin Yamaha 3.3 F250s and could get 2.0mpg out of it if I was careful. In fact, most V6 twin engine offshore boats are in the 1.5-2mpg range. You should be getting the same 3.5-4.5mpg as every other fairly new bass/bay boat on the water.
    Verados have a supercharger so they will not be as good on fuel. Im not surprised about his difference between the vrod and xs. When you cram a bunch of air in the cylinders you gotta inject more fuel to keep the ratios optimal.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Verados have a supercharger so they will not be as good on fuel. Im not surprised about his difference between the vrod and xs. When you cram a bunch of air in the cylinders you gotta inject more fuel to keep the ratios optimal.
    Did you look at the link I posted? Twin Verados on 8,000 pound offshore boats get the same mileage as his bass boat. Something is seriously wrong with his setup. Period.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...units=imperial

I agree with something is wrong. I have a 350 and 3.5 is about average. Really should look at it in gallons per hour though. Verado hole shot is damn good along with top speed. I don't mis my 250 pro xs at all.

11. Member
    Kind of interesting thread in the Ranger section, supposedly Ranger will not send a new "L" boat out with a Vrod. It will come with a Proxs and have to be derigged and have the Vrod put on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Z View Post
    Kind of interesting thread in the Ranger section, supposedly Ranger will not send a new "L" boat out with a Vrod. It will come with a Proxs and have to be derigged and have the Vrod put on.
    update:
    L boat can be built less engine then Dealer install Verado. just a decision Ranger made also has to do with buyers not understanding Verado steering and power output. People complained but it was a driver issue not understanding the motor/steering/ power response. To much power when hit throttle. around docks in traffic people felt unsafe. but its not a problem again buyers buying that don't have a clue. Liability is a big word.

I love mine and yes I learned the motor and how it reacts to boat. AND the biggest issue was the small amount of steering helm noise in pump. Its very minimal and part of the UFLEX system. once above idle it goes away but at idle you can hear a little humming noise but its nothing.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC

13. Member
    Wait till after the Feb Miami boat show..... :)
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

Quote Originally Posted by FastCat04 View Post
    Wait till after the Feb Miami boat show..... :)
    I know what cha mean, will be interesting. I'm still loving the Verado. I hope its what we been waiting on
    JEFF MURRAY USMC

Thinking about a 250 Verado on a new 521C but have never driven one.. What is the DTS like? I understand you can switch between the hotfoot and hand throttle? I'm not a go fast guy - rarely run over 50 mph but we idle alot on "no wake" lakes.

I like the idea of a quiet motor - my current 2005 250XS run great but it is loud...

What is the max warranty available?
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

16. Member
    Hmmm.... new Mercury 4 Stroke??

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smp005 View Post
    Thinking about a 250 Verado on a new 521C but have never driven one.. What is the DTS like? I understand you can switch between the hotfoot and hand throttle? I'm not a go fast guy - rarely run over 50 mph but we idle alot on "no wake" lakes.

I like the idea of a quiet motor - my current 2005 250XS run great but it is loud...

What is the max warranty available?
    3 Years Factory Warranty.

You can add up to 5 years of Platinum Product Protection.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    How many years has it been now where there's been a rumor that Mercury is coming out with a 250 non Vrod 4 stroke? Don't get me wrong....not complaining...I have a 250 pro Verado on my tritoon and it is awesome. It's just crazy that the rumor comes up every year. With that said, I will be VERY interested to see if they finally do it this year!!!

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I will get excited when I see a model number listed in the Dealer Order "cart".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thats crazy Ron

I have a 921 and same motor, dual 10' Blades and run WOT at 26/27 gph per smartcraft. I cruise at 45-50 and can hang about 9-11 gph. You have a serious problem if you are sucking down those numbers. I can understand with the supercharger pulling more fuel wide open....my difference is about 3-4gph vs the XS...but...damn man. You need a loan to run that thing at 30% efficient to what I run. That is pure insanity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast