Trailer Towing Question

My car is handicap right now and I am trying to tow my boat with another car, problem is the other car only has a 4 prong trailer harness/wire, my trailer is a dual axle with brakes and i know the other 5th wire on the harness is linked to the back up light for braking the trailer when backing up. I know i can use the pin and over ride the brakes being lock when backing up but am i safe to tow without the 5th plug...???

Safe is questionable using a car to pull a boat worthy of tandems, anyways if your going to do it take it easy, also I am aware that if you plug it in backwards/ staggered something like running lights will actually line up with the reverse lights.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    You can turn the plug perpendicular and turn on the parking lights, line up the blue or purple wire on the trailer with the brown wire on the tow vehicle and back up most times. If you lock out the brakes don't do it until you're ready to back up.

4. Member
    That sideways plug trick might or might not work. Most don't ground through the hitch, but through a ground wire in the trailer wiring harness. If you turn the plug sideways so that the reverse pin matches the tail light pin, you might not have a complete circuit, or you might have one that is intermittent, etc.

Best to use the lockout key once you get to the ramp.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Not the best idea to tow with a "Car" anytime, but you should have a lock out on the top of the trailer, usually a silver round thing with arrows on it that say this way to remove and that way to lock out brake. DO NOT turn this until you get ready to back up !! Then turn to lock out brake and then launch. Be safe !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    My car is handicap right now and I am trying to tow my boat with another car, problem is the other car only has a 4 prong trailer harness/wire, my trailer is a dual axle with brakes and i know the other 5th wire on the harness is linked to the back up light for braking the trailer when backing up. I know i can use the pin and over ride the brakes being lock when backing up but am i safe to tow without the 5th plug...???
    Good grief, in stead of all the drama, just put a 5 pin plug on the car. Might take 10 minutes if you are real slow.

7. Member
    My SUV came with a 4 prong harness and when i bought my boat it came with a 5 prong harness, I towed without the 5th prong for about a year before i changed out my 4 prong harness.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

8. Member
    Give the man a break. Some southerners call any personal vehicle a car,whether it's a sedan,pick up or SUV. I drive a Suburban and call it a car. Or maybe he did mean a car,IDK.