Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any ideas how to avoid seat post getting stuck?

My fishing partner has a 2010 190-CX that had a stuck front seat post. Thanks to past posts and a couple busted knuckles, we finally managed to get it out with a floor jack and some aircraft cable. Unfortunately we had to sacrifice the post. Moving forward, does anybody know how to avoid the new post getting stuck? When the post was stuck, you could spin it around so it's not as if the post was too tight all around, it's more like the very bottom of the post had a knurled lip that kept it from coming out. Does anybody know what causes the problem or most importantly, how to avoid it happening to the new post? I'll see if I can find a pic of the stuck post if that might help.

Last edited by Rstrelec; 09-14-2017 at 12:21 PM.

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    The only way I know is to take them out when you come off the water. All the ones I have heard about got stuck when owner left pedestals in. That lip is something I have not seen before.

3. Banned
    I put some "anti-seize" on mine, just have to be careful not to get it on the carpet. I think I'd grind that lip off.

4. Member
    Neither of my newer seat posts would come out without a pipe wrench. New cover had to remove the posts. Removed both seat posts and took a angle grinder and sander to them over the winter, now I can remove both by hand with minimal effort.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Spider, are your newer pedestals the black ones or the newer "silver" ones? The silver ones are 1.77" dia, while the originals and your bases are 1.75"

6. Member
    Buy the Attwood bushing inserts that take the hole down to 3/4" and buy the regular 3/4" pin post pedestals. Thank me later.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gleninaz View Post
    Buy the Attwood bushing inserts that take the hole down to 3/4" and buy the regular 3/4" pin post pedestals. Thank me later.

+1 for the Attwoods... did it on both of pedestals just to avoud all the headache

9. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Last edited by Fidgetcranker; 09-17-2017 at 01:26 AM.

10. Member
    Do these glue in or just slide in?

11. Member
    My carpet guy used a little wd40 and pounded them in with a rubber mallet. Tight fit and perfect. Easy to get the posts out since then. Hated the old ones.

If I could talk him into those we'd have it made. Plus I could bring my Attwood post and leaner seat for the back deck. Thanks for the info and advice. I'll tell him to pull after every trip and the first time it feels even slightly difficult to remove, I'll hit it with the grinder.

13. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Good idea. I have never had the issue, but have always pulled the pedestals out as soon as off the water....

14. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by champ210 View Post
    Do these glue in or just slide in?
    They slide in...or tap in with hammer

15. Member
    If you want to keep the pedestals you have then a $5.00 2 inch diameter flap-wheel sander works wonders. Chuck it in a drill and use it to sand the inside of the base. Search BBC and there are lots of people who have done this. I did and have never had a problem since. Saves you the cost of buying the bushings and new pedestals.

16. Scraps
    paraffin wax.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADVAN View Post
    If you want to keep the pedestals you have then a $5.00 2 inch diameter flap-wheel sander works wonders. Chuck it in a drill and use it to sand the inside of the base. Search BBC and there are lots of people who have done this. I did and have never had a problem since. Saves you the cost of buying the bushings and new pedestals.
    +1

That's how I fixed mine back in the day.

Ya got my attention. Please go on in your experience with em.

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    paraffin wax.
    He started using paraffin on them a couple years ago (based on BBC recommendations) and it works great for the rear post but the front post eventually got stuck. I think it got stuck because he got in the habit of leaving his front seat in all the time. He pulls his rear seat 100% of the time and rubs a little paraffin on it occasionally and it comes out without any problem. I'll tell him to do the same with his new front post and we'll see how that does. If it shows signs of sticking again, I'll use a 2" flap-wheel sander as suggested.

20. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    If you do use the sander, be very careful. You don't want for the pedestal to be too loose, either!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast